1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor cord shorting

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by axo1usa, Apr 30, 2004.

1. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Has anybody ever tried to cut through the computer end of a monitor connection cord. My monitor is fine, but the cord connection at the computer end is flailing.If I slice through it, can I repair it. Or am I going to open a can of worms?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

-Teleport-

3. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Teleport? what about replacing the cord from terminals inside the monitor? Is that easy/hard? Can one purchase monitor cords at their nearest computer part store?

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to wire in a new monitor cable to the terminals inside your monitor? So I take it the cable is hardwired on the monitor end?

Unless you've had quite a bit of experience with repairing monitors and electronics in general, I wouldn't go busting into the monitor housing or splicing any cables.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Teleport = me moving the thread from CDR to PC Hardware :)

Oh and... yes, although you CAN splice in new cords for your monitor, i wouldnt reccommend you do that unless youve had significant practice doign stuff like that

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

As the others have said, its hard. But It is possible, the biggest problem is trying to keep the twisting of the 15 wires correctly. It is very very easy to loose Red. I don't know why, but rewiring a monitor, It was also the one that would go.

What is the make of the monitor?

Now rereading your question is the connector at the end going or is the female computer connector going?

7. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Yes, the problem is at the end of the line just before
    the male end that adapts into the video card.If I flex it all I get either no picture or a very darkened, weak picture.Do you mean there are actually 15 different wires running through that main cable? The attatchment at the monitor end is internal.But this end is also no easy task to undertake? So, buy a new monitor, even though the one I have looks excellent?

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I don`t know how skilled you are with a solidering iron. But you can take the case off the back of the monitor and re attach a new cable. Some and only some stores will have monitor cables. In the Toronto area a store called Active Surplus has what ever you would need and is very cheap. Other world locations I don`t know. but I would recomend taking off the the cable from the mother board and attaching another. Each mother board is different, so some easier then others. Some even have inside connections.
    You can try to remove the end terminal and resplice it, but as I have said, I ran into loosing the red channel doing that in the past. Could have just been me, but the twisting and length of the cable does matter on the max resolution and frequency that the monitor can handle.

If you are not skilled with solidering iron, I would say bit the bullet and buy a new or used monitor.

9. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

Taking the cable off the Motherboard ??? The monitor cable is hooked up to the motherboard of my computer
    by way of the graphics card.To take the cable off of the grahics card is just to unscrew it.The monitor is a self contained unit. The monitor cord is sealed inside the monitor. I would have to open the monitor to replace the cord.I just would like to know how many leads are going to have to be attatched inside the monitor.Is this a hard or easy task?

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

For clearification, I thought the cord that is connected to the monitor is bad. It goes into the monitor and has a 15pin connector. I am assuming the 15pin connector on the cable that is coming out of the monitor is bad. If this assumption is correct, what I am telling you to do is with a screw driver remove the plastic casing off the monitor and look inside. Some monitor cables go to a connector that can siply be pulled out. Whereas other monitors, have the cable solidered directly to the chip board (the hard green plastic thing thing with all the chips on it). If it is solidered, then you need a pair of long nose plyers, a solidering iron and high dexterity. The long noise plyers you will need to use directly on the contact to act as a heat sink to remove the soldier iron heat that you use to melt the solider on the connection. I find it easier to pull the wire when heating with my hand. If you are really fancy, there are solidering irons with suction conections to remove the melted solider. But you risk heat damage removeing the solider completely. I just like to melt and pull the wires out.

Thus if you are not solider skilled, I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS AT ALL!!!!!

11. axo1usa

axo1usa Member

OK. so you were ussing "motherboard" to mean the chip board inside the monitor,right? It's not the soldering that I'm afraid of, I can do that. The question is, before I open up the maonitor casing,is it going to be like 16 different wires that I'm going to have to solder, or just a matter of a + and - lead ? Is it going to be a major 2 hour job, or less than one hour?
    Is it going to be a capable job for someone semi-skilled in electronic repair, or does it need a professional?Am I opening a can of worms that I won't be able to tackle, or could I just make it worse? worse?

12. Nephilim

15 pins usually means 15 wires.

I believe you've already recieved three opinions on that one.

Seems like you're hell bent on doing it anyway so I'd recommend having enough in your budget for a replacement before you crack your monitor open.

13. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I definetly aggree with Nephilim. But the best way to learn is to jump in.

As I said two possible outcomes, a connector inside (female to male 15pin black connector) or 15 wires solided directly to the chip board. A lot of them are using new black connectors as it goes much faster on the accembly line. So it might be really easy, but you will not know untill you open up the monitor case.

this should take less than an hour, but depends on the hand shakes and if you good metal in the background. Front line assembly is good soldiering music.

14. Nephilim

lol! Good one :)

15. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

You all forgot to mention that if you are going to open the monitor up, wait AT LEAST 24 hours after it has been turned off. The capacitors inside the monitor will still be holding an electric current. Therefore if u even actually touch 1 of the capactiors u will get a real nasty SHOCK.

Regards
    CoZZa

16. Nephilim

Puts hair on your chest :) Try 277V a/c - that gets you jumpin'!

17. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

The only solution is to NOT TOUCH the CAPACITORS!!!!

I have taken apart quite a lot of old PC stuff. The Caps in an old 15" Viewsonic were still good after a year! The best are TV Caps, If you work in a hospital or have access to needles, you can very very carefully connect two needles to the end of a high powered Cap and you have a very nice Single use stun gun. I used to make those all the time in High school.
    But my point is Never NEVER touch a Cap!!