1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor doesn't turn on when turning computer on

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Krring, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Krring

Krring Member

Hi guys!

My problem is simple: My monitor doesn't turn on when I turn on my computer. I have Samsung 226BW, E6850, 8800GTX, 2 Gb RAM, P5K Deluxe and Windows XP.

I bought some new hardware just recently and this problem occurred right away. When I boot up, my monitor just blinks that analog/digital-box in the upper left corner of my screen. After that it goes to power save mode and only that light behind my monitors on/off-button blinks. I have to start up several times before I get picture to my screen.

The same thing appears if I try to restart my computer straight away from Windows.

Anyone know what might be the problem? I have newest NVIDIA drivers and I also installed those 226BW drivers.

Thanks

Krring

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You have a hot-reboot issue. My PC did this when overclocked. Is your system overclocked?

3. Krring

Krring Member

I think I have. I upgraded my BIOS with ASUS tool and I believe my computer overclocks itself automaticly. At least few times after I have gotten my computer to boot up properly, I have had this "overclocking failed, please choose" and then there's an option to choose new setup or to load an old setup.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah don't use any of the Asus AI stuff, it's not really the best way to overclock anyway. If you want to overclock your system, I'd suggest you do it from the BIOS. Learn how in aD's official overclocking thread. Leave AI alone, it gave me all sorts of issues.

5. Krring

Krring Member

So what do you suggest? I go to BIOS and turn everything concerning CPU overclocking off from automatic?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, give that a try, if that's all you changed.

7. Krring

Krring Member

Dammit... I turned "CPU overclocking" from BIOS to "Standard". There was options of standard, automatic, manual and N.O.S. I didn't find any other switch relating with overclocking so I didn't know what to do.

At the moment it still takes several times of trying to get my computer to boot up normally.

I'm just helpless with this one...

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You say you bought 'new hardware'. What is the new hardware, or is it all new?

9. Krring

Krring Member

Well, I basicly bought a whole new computer. Details are in the first post.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So it has done this since new?

The drivers will not be the problem as it occurs before windows (and therefore the drivers) are loaded, so its either a CMOS problem, or a faulty component. Try performing a CMOS Reset and see if that solves the problem (A CMOS reset is usually carried out by unplugging the PC from the mains, removing the CMOS battery and moving a jumper at the bottom of the motherboard. You can then move the jumper back and reattach the battery)

11. Krring

Krring Member

What do I lose when doing this CMOS reset? Do I have to install something afterwards?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You won't lose any files or settings within windows, but you will lose any BIOS settings you changed. This will include overclocking, voltage control, and Boot order. If you changed any of these, you'll need to set them back afterwards, but other than the boot order it may be wise not to in case the problem recurs.