1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor tips

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by IonÅphis, Mar 3, 2007.

1. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

I need a few tips on buying a new monitor. While the CRTs are known to be better at games than LCDs I wanna know how trustworthy is that statement. The principle problem people said to have with LCD monitors and games is ghosting. But in some places I've read this is no longer a problem, because of the quicker response. At what response rate should I be guaranteed not to have any ghosting effects? And is there any other big inconveniences with gaming on a LCD monitor? I mean, CRTs are cheaper, sure, but I don't know if I want the bulk anymore. Anyway, I kind of wanted to amplify my screen though, from a working 1024x768 to a 1280x1024, and obviously keep off of that flickerish effect. I was told LCDs don't flicker, but it's always good to come back to the wise members of AfterDawn to check this stuff first.
    Thanks

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I have a ViewSonic VX-922. It is a 19 inch LCD monitor with 2ms response time. Works great for me. It is sold as a "gaming monitor" and the response time is the best I have seen advertized. Think there was one at 3ms, most were 5ms or longer.

Felt that the size was good, slightly more than my old CRT. AND it weighs one elephant less. Paid $259 with free shipping around Christmas time. Probably can find cheaper prices, but you won't find a better response time (at least for a while).

I'm pleased with my choice.

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Even on my 30" beast I don't get ghosting.

Which ever one you choose, just do a Google search for user reviews.