1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor/Videocard Problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Lawmanxxx, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Lawmanxxx

Lawmanxxx Guest

Every time I reboot my computer I get a non-responsive monitor that informs me that there is "No Signal". I can hear the 'puter booting up but no display. I can turn the monitor off and on, but no dice. I have tried two different monitors: a 19" BenQ and a 17" Compaq and the result is the same. I end up hard-booting the tower off and waiting a couple of hours and then, if I am lucky, it boots up normally.
    Here is a list of things that I have done to try and fix it, thus far:

- I made sure that all power settings are set to "always on" ie: Hibernate off, Standby off, etc.
    - Updated videocard and monitor drivers
    - Opened the tower and cleaned out with compressed air
    - Visually inspected all fans, cables, connections, looked for bent port pins, etc.
    - Ran AdAware and Spybot S&D
    - Ran Anti-Virus (McAfee) and Trend Micro HouseCall (Online)

The fact that I lose signal with two different monitors makes me think it's not a monitor issue. You might be thinking that the videocard is overheating, but I have three case fans, an intake on the front and two exhaust fans at the back. I run SpeedFan 4.21 and all my fan speeds and temps are normal.

I have another videocard (MSI RX-9200) that I will try out as a last resort, but if anyone can suggest a fix for this problem, I would welcome any and all advice.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton 2083 Mhz
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
    1024mb pc2700 RAM
    NVidia GeForce FX5200
    Maxtor 80G HD
    WinXP SP 2

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You could try reseating the video card that you have in your computer, now. If that doesn't work, put in the backup video card that you have.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2nd what grandpa says as it is a communication problem between computer & monitor. had to replace a video card under same circumstances for a customer

4. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Sorry, saw this thread after I started mine re: suspension. Ran search, but did not see it.

Sounds like my problem except I did not change anything. Worked yesterday -- in suspension today.

5. Lawmanxxx

Lawmanxxx Guest

Just thought I'd give an update: I went ahead and swapped out my videocard and that appears to have fixed it. I had a few tense moments while Windows was trying to "see" the new hardware but it reboots just fine now. Thanks for the help. Lawmanxxx

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Glad that you are up and running, Lawmanxxx.