1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor won't display

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by zero44, Oct 2, 2011.

1. zero44

zero44 Member

Okay, so about a month ago, my computer was running fine on Windows XP. But now when I try to boot it up, my monitor displays "Going into Sleep Mode", goes blank, and the power light turns yellow on it. This only happens when I plug it in the computer, as it is looking for the VGA output when its unplugged and the power light is blue. I turned off the computer and unplugged it from the main power source. Funny thing is, my monitor still displays, "Going into Sleep Mode" and the power light turns yellow every time I plug it in the computer, even when its COMPLETELY off. Also, when I turn my computer on, the fans and things are running, but my keyboard and mouse are off, as the keyboard doesn't light up when I press the Lock keys. Anyone know the problem?

My monitor is a HP vs17x and my computer is a HP Pavilion a1514n with a ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphic card.

Thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try another power supply to see what happens. are any of the silver topped cans(capacitors) on the motherboard domed(supposed to be flat) or leaking brown stuff?

3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

SMOKE..... did you see any smoke
    smoke is vital to the well being of components if the smoke escapes the components will stop working
    on a more serious note
    put the computer on a table 'unpluged' take out the ram and then plug it in and see if there are any beeps if no beeps probably failed motherboard. if you get beeps then try one stick of ram at a time
    also ensure there are NO usb's plugged in as these can also stop a boot

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011