1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Cable

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ub2cool4u, Jun 17, 2003.

1. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

I'm thinking of getting the monster cable s-video for PS2, but before I do I have some questions to ask about it. When I purchase it, do I plug it in the same place where I plugged the av cables in that I got with the PS2? And is it worth purchasing, does it make a big difference in the sound and the graphics? I heard that it gets rid of the dot crawl on the edges of objects.

2. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

I meant the monster av cable, sorry not monster s-video cable.

3. hybridsun

hybridsun Member

Oh believe me..S-Viseo does make a difference...I just bought one for my PS2 for my projection screen to get rid of the dot graphics too...and it works great! the graphics are more clean and CRISP! you don't neccesarily have to get a monster cable..unless it gives you really crisp sound..and alot more expensive..

4. golden_35

golden_35 Regular member

If your video supports composite video, get that, its much much better than s-video

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

The order of available cables are

1) RF cable (screw in metal head type) Basic

2) AV cable (red/white/yellow on head type) Good

3) S-Video cable (red/white & sometimes yellow type with pin connector like a mouse/keybord head) Better

4) Component cable (red/blue/green with additional red/white all look like AV cable) Best

There are a few others like scart etc. but for the mass public the above ones are easiest. I have heard there are products that utilize the AV type and supposedly increase the quality over other similar AV types, but have yet to see this proven.

If your TV supports S-Video go for those, if you have a higher end TV and it has Component in then those are the best all around. They can be a bit expensive but well worth it. I use these currently but would not go below S-Video if I had to.

Here is a link on the way they look http://mikesreviews.tripod.com/mtvmg2/ps2relatedwires.html_X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]Please use the Search function http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/ before posting or refer to my Tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105[/bold][/small]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  6. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Thanks for all the help :). But I'm thinking of getting a "GameLink 200 A/V Cable" (not s-video)which is made by monster cable, it said that it is made with 24K Gold contact RCA connectors. And it has Nitrogen gas-injected dielectric insulator delivers maximum video signal strength for the clearest, sharpest picture possible.The enhanced performance audio/video connection for TVs and receivers with RCA (composite) video inputs. Will the a/v cable get rid of that annoying dot crawl on the edge of objects, and will it also make the sound and graphics a lot better?

7. golden_35

golden_35 Regular member

Monster also makes gold-plated s-video and composite video i think, not too sure, but im pretty sure

8. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I have no personal experience with those particular wires, I would suggest asking if you could have someone demonstrate them on a TV in a place like circuit city or similar. Just remember to use the original AV wires for the comparison, so as you get a fair demonstration.

9. SP33D

SP33D Member

You wont see a big difference until you go to an S-Video or Component cables. You may see a slight improvement if the Sony cables are truly crappy but I doubt it'll be worth the money.

10. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

All I wanna do is get rid of that stupid annoying dot crawl on the edge of objects, will the gamelink 200 a/v cable do the job? The cheapest one that I found was for $29.95 at bestbuy.com with free S&H. The website says that it will deliver the clearest sharpest picture possible. I'm probably going to end up buying it though.

11. rhead03

rhead03 Guest

Unscrew the RCA plug from a monster cable one day and you'll see the only thing monster is the insulation. I compared monsters with generics at best buy one night in front of the guy trying to jam them down my throat and his jaw dropped. Monster cables have no more cable in them than any other cable,they just have big fat insulation that makes people think they do.

12. golden_35

golden_35 Regular member

Exactly!!! RCA is a thing of the past! Go s-video dude, but composite is the best possible thing to use. Because instead of one cord sending millions of different colour combinations through one cord (s-video or rca), use 3 cords that send red, green and blue (3 cords are better than one) and the tv does the sorting out of the colours (this is using composite)...3 times better graphics. I am bad at convincing haha my explanations sound a little dumb. But my tv has both rca and composite inputs. So i decided to go to e/b and buy composite video and plugged it into my video 6 input and i also had my rca plugged into video 5. I would switch videos on the tv and switch the plug at the back of the ps2. The difference i found by upgrading cords to composite is that the picture is crisper, much much crisper, much less blurry, the colours are brighter and more vibrant. An overall better picture, much less pixels too.