1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monty Python/Holy Grail-HP 200i does not recognize!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by lerxst28, Oct 6, 2003.

1. lerxst28

lerxst28 Guest

Hi guys. I wanted to back up my Monty Python-Holy Grail disc. I have tried to get disc-1 to play in my HP DVD burner but it doesn't see it. Disc-2 plays fine(documentery & interviews). When I inserted disc-1, it said "this disc is in a format XP doesn't recognize" or something like that. It also just sat there and blinked. I rebooted and tried reinserting the disc. What did they do to this disc? What format could it be in? It says NTSC on the front. Any ideas or has anybody seen this happen before? It's a first for me.
    Thanks!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's weird. I just backed up my copy last week with no problems. I used a Lite-On LTD-166S to read both discs though. I don't think they did anything special to the disc. Maybe others with more experience can elaborate. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I never killed anybody that didn't deserve it.[/small]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
  3. lerxst28

lerxst28 Guest

What the hell is a Lite-On LTD-166S? Sounds like a spaceship from Star Trek. Never heard of that model. I think it may be that the HP doesn't like DVD's with the printed surface on the disc. I dunno. It still won't read it.

4. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Hey..
    I have the same problem with Pulp Fiction (region 1, not the special edition) and both my LG DVD burner and my Samsung DVD-ROM drive. The thing is, I don't get any error message at all....the stupid "auto load" doesn't even detect that a disc has been put in the drive.
    This is also a DVD with the label printed directly onto the disc, but I haven't had the same problem with other similar dics.
    Strange...

5. Nephilim

Lol! The Lite-On is just an inexpensive dvd-rom. I use it for less wear and tear on my burner.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH - thats great!

I have a LITEON 52/24/52 CD-RW its the mother ship to that one! LOL - great love it!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!

Ok, i have heard more and more that disc region 1 encrytion is getting a bitch to back up! they are doing something?

Thx...

EDIT: CAPTAIN CAPTAIN shes breaking up! spok get that clingon off your starboard bow! disgusting!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
  7. lerxst28

lerxst28 Guest

Well, glad I amused you guys about the starship enterprise thingy. Region 1 is USA/Canada....right? I hope so cause that's all I use on my backups. I had trouble with region free playing in my Zenith player. I mean, I ain't never gonna be playing these discs in another country. Anyway, I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Problem is, without being able to see the disc, I can't tell what the hell they did to it. I wish I had your LTD Litespeed X-1000 $%^&*(@...whatever model so I could do the damn thing! Ha ha. That's the first disc I ever seen do this. I'm really puzzled. Oh well, just think, we're they pioneer's of this stuff anyway. In months to come, they'll come out with more proggie's and take all the damn fun outta it! Wheeeeeeww!
    (quote)Jim, what the hell's a matter with you!?(/quote)

8. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

Well i have a couple of scenarios first one the disc could be in dvd-mrw format

1. The disc could be in Mrw format. Mount rainer format does not play on some dvd drives therefore you need the latest firmware version for your drive.

2. You simply need to upgrade In-CD to the latesst version or Direct cd or if you dont have those programs i suggest you get them. Upgrade your firmware if you have not already done it.

Also tell me what dvd player program you use to try and play the disc. If you have dvd-shrink and it cant recognize the disc then i am almost positive it is a hardware problem. If you dont have dvd-shrink get it and try to read the disc if you can then your dvd playing software is screwed up. If you use windows media player to play dvds god help you. Get a good dvd playing program.

9. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

Adding n to my last post dont get both in-cd and direct cd get in-cd only if possible. you will need nero to get in-cd to work on your computer. By the way what program are you using to try and back up monty python?

10. lerxst28

lerxst28 Guest

I've got turmoil in my other post....anyway, the HP just won't recognize the disc.....period. I't does not see the disc, therefore I can't even open it up in DVD shrink to reauthor. Got to see it first.......when I put it in, the light blinks for a few seconds and then does nothing. I click on explorer and it says "This disc needs formatted" or something like that.

11. lerxst28

lerxst28 Guest

Also, My HP is up to the latest firmware.

12. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

Well from what I hear:

Check if your dvd rom drive is in UDMA mode in the bios setup if not make sure it is set to UDMA. Also IN-CD will make a difference there are other programs like it that do the same thing to the drive. If nothing you try works then simply uninstall the driver for the drive and reinstall the dvd-rom drive. If this does not work then i will consult my highers to solve this problem. Im sure after about a couple of days myself and some of my buddies will come up with a solution.

13. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

According to alot of forums similar to your problem the disc may be in MRW format. this means your out of luck with reading the disc. Also im pretty sure this is not your problem but your dvd drive might be set to another region code make sure your dvd drive and dvd disc have the same region code. Also download this program to tell what your dvd drive is capable of reading: http://www.dvdinfopro.com/index.php

download this program and tell me what formats your dvd drive can read

14. lerxst28

lerxst28 Guest

I betcha it's set to Region 1....you may have nailed the problem. I remember having to set that when I first installed the drive last year. I don't know if it's set to 1, but I bet that's it. That's the most logical explanation I could think of anyway. It makes sense. I'll check this out and reply Sunday-12th. Thanks, your pretty slick at this. I'm good at it but I run into stuff like this once and awhile and get stumped.

15. lerxst28

lerxst28 Guest

Hah, that was easy, I just went into properties. It's set to Region-1 which would make it not read that disc if it's made in another country....I think. That's a British company so who knows. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Nephilim

My copy of Holy Grail (2-Disc, spec. ed, plastic slipcase over regular case) is put out by Columbia/Tristar. It's region 1. It should say on the back of the case towards the bottom what region the disc is.

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

{quote]What the hell is a Lite-On LTD-166S? Sounds like a spaceship from Star Trek{/quote]
    Laughing my feckin arse off at that one. LOL I like people with sense of humours :-D