1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Current DVD to VCD Guides?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by flemingm, Aug 23, 2004.

1. flemingm

flemingm Member

Hey.

I'm just getting into ripping and backing up dvds.
    I used the tutorial in this website to convert a dvd to vob then convert to vcd.

I used SmartRipper, DVDToAVI, And TMG somehting. The file doesn't play back as good as I would like it.

Is there a better tutorial I could uses to rip a dvd, then convert it to vcd, then burn?

I'm looking for higher quaility audio and video files if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

If you want good quality you wouldn't convert a DVD to a VCD. You would just backup the DVD. If you don't want to or can't make a DVD but need to keep quality then you need to convert to DivX/XviD format. That will play on your computer but not most DVD players.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

As Veblin said, if you want higher quality, you don't want to make VCDs. You also didn't mention what you need them to play on (ie DVD player or PC), which makes a difference in what formats are worth your time to mess with. If you're going to be playing them back exclusively on a PC, I'd agree that MPEG4 (Divx or Xvid) would be an excellent choice, but if you're playing them on a standalone you need to buy a special player that can read them. For standalone playback I'd recommend looking at SVCD and miniDVD (DVD files on a CD-R). SVCD will give you better video, but comparable audio to VCD. miniDVD can improve the video even further, and can give you better audio, but there are probably fewer players that support it.