1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Compatible

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dawiz55, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Dawiz55

Dawiz55 Regular member

I have a question, which is most compatible DVD media -R or +R when it come to using Sony, Toshiba and your high end dvd players? What brand should you use? I've experienced inconsistantcies When playing backups DVD-r on these type players.

2. gcd04

gcd04 Member

I have a Sony DRU-710 burner and I've used Sony,Maxell and Memorex DVD-R's.I've had great luck with all of them.

3. billwebso

billwebso Guest

Taiyo Yuden DVD+R

4. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Dawiz55--
    It seems as if the newer the player is then the more compatible it is with all DVD formats--Especially the less expensive players, but I recently tried one of my burned DVD+R on every DVD player on display (8)--and it played on ALL of them. Just my experience

Whitfield

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

In all the dvd players,pc's,and burners I have: + format definitely! High quality + only for me.

My sony dvp-ns325 player will play anything I throw in it and the picture is perfect.
    As long as you have a quality burner,using quality media, and a safe,normal 4x speed,dvd players will play them regardless if they specify being able to play -/+/ or both.When it comes to playing those backups you make from your pc: the key word is QUALITY.

Dawiz55, You stated you have experienced inconsistantcies when playing your backups.
    Do They: pixellate,pause,jump,skip around,or just give a no disc inserted error?It's called media quality.

This is usually the cause of poor media/burning too fast/ or a combination of both.When stand alone players do any of these symptoms,they are telling you they don't like your backups.The little problems on your backups,poor quality, are really magnefied by the stand alone players.Let us know what symptoms you have before shelling out some clams on a new dvd player.It's probably a simple fix.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It's sort of like the last Presidential election in the US. The vote is near 50/50, each with their own preference. I do know that some DVD+R media will not play on older DVD Players. It's really what your Burner likes as far as preferred media based on it's firmware. From there listen to what others are saying here if their suggestion includes what your Burner's manufacturer states as compatible. If not you might get stuck with something that doesn’t work well with your burner.

7. Dawiz55

Dawiz55 Regular member

My media plays fine in my Apex dvd players but in my 800.00 Sony surrounds it tends to skip, pause, no disk or C1300 error message. I've used Prodisc 8x dvd-r and tdk dvd-r 8x. The tdk seems to work better maybe because of the quality. maybe it would make a difference if i used a Ritek or Verbatum media.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dawiz55, your -8x media should be pretty good,you are not using that cheap crap. I haven't burned any of them yet. Did you try slowing down your burn? I am not sure how fast you try to burn. The lower burn speed helps on certain stand alone players.I have read threads of members burning at 1x just to be able to play their backups on them.

What model and # of burner do you have?
    Issues like these is when it is handy to have a dual-format burner.The + has been playing on all my friends/relatives/and my own stand alone players.My dad's sherwood is the only one that plays - only.

Switch to ritek or verbatim? I know verbatim has different manufacturers but not sure of ritek.
    If you can only burn in the - format,try some maxell yellow tops,-4x. The ones made in japan are by hitachi and ty, the ones made in taiwan are ritek-go4's.All 3 are very good to excellent quality. This is my choice when I burn the dash format.

The slowing down burn speed and/or format change usually fix those issues.That sony just may need a certain recipe to get it to play your backups,without any issues.

9. Dawiz55

Dawiz55 Regular member

yeah i'll try slowing down my speed. I have 4x and 8x pioneer burners.