1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Effective Way To Archive DVD Question!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by u87, Jan 22, 2005.

1. u87

u87 Member

Hi,
    I've got quite a few DVDs(mostly music-of varying size)on my hard drive that I really need to archive to "back up" discs.

I'm looking to do this in the most "disc effective" way without compromising the file integrity of each DVD.

For example,a few days ago I archived 3 different music DVDs(that haven't been burned out as DVD Video...ie 3 seperate sets of AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders,Beach Boys 2.2 gig/Tom Waits 1.70 gig/GBV 165 meg..... total size of 4.07 gig)to ONE 4.7 Gig Dvd.

I found with this DVD archive disc,that I was able to play each individual VOB file on my stand alone DVD player(albeit without any form of menu).

This was great for me as I'm now able to watch these files on my TV/DVD,but also have the luxury of being able to wait until I get(for example...approx another 2.7 gig of Tom Waits files, that I can then use to author a full 4.7 gig disc exclusively of Tom Waits DVDs.)

With this in mind can anyone tell me what/if there is any difference in archiving just the straight AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders as opposed to creating an .ISO file when archiving as a back up.

I'm kind of thinking along the lines of what happens when mpegs are stored as data files as opposed to being burned out to VCD.

Is there any extra information(eg.error correction) written to/contained within the structure of an .ISO file,that isn't already in the VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folders.

Any information on this would be very gratefully received.
    Thanks in anticipation,

Tim(UK)

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

going to iso first would make no difference.

3. u87

u87 Member

Hi Sly,
    Are you saying that the .ISO file created using the Backup facility of DVD Shrink, doesn't contain any extra information and is exactly the same as the "original" AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders?

My point was that I don't want to archive the files as .ISO,if there isn't any extra information contained within the file structure becuase I can't play .ISO files on my stand alone DVD player.

Tim(UK)

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

no, there is no extra info. I don't use shrink to make an iso, i just have nero burn the video and audio_ts folders.

5. u87

u87 Member

Hey Sly,
    Thats great....
    From cross referencing file sizes from the Original downloads,.ISO's made from these and actual DVD Video Discs themselves,it didn't look like there was any extra info but I thought it best to make sure.
    Thanks for all of yr help with this.
    I think I've got it all sorted now.
    Cheers buddy

Tim(UK)