1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother of 3 boys needs help to change modchip!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by noviceXP, Mar 17, 2004.

1. noviceXP

noviceXP Member

I've searched and could not find an answer for my question. I have a ps2 with usb modchip (the one with on/off switch) installed for my boys a couple of years ago. We're having problems playing the DVD-R backups and after reading this forum, I'm beginning to see there are better ways to do this (better chips). I would like to know if it's possible to change the chip and does anyone know where I could get this done? Thanks. Much appreciated.

2. account

account Guest

well the magic 3.1 would be a good choice and i can do it (check your pm) and if you take the chip out completly does it work?

3. account

account Guest

if you have the neo key external chip then you cant play dvd games with it.

it might also be the laser and a simple laser replacement could fix the problem. aslo do cd-r backups work? and do original dvd games work
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]check out my site http://jgames.50megs.com[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2004
  4. noviceXP

noviceXP Member

Thanks for your reply. Backup CD-R's work fine. We are also able to use original DVD games but with 3 small boys, you can imagine how scratched up they get and I've had to replace a couple already. I'd like to find a way to use backups that would be fast and easy since they are still young ( age 6-9).

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If you're ok at soldering small components or have access to someone who is I'd recommend getting a Magic chip. Depending on the version of PS2 you have you can put a Magic 3.1 chip in a v1-6 PS2 or put a Magic V in a v7+ machine if you want an easy to operate solution.

6. account

account Guest

and since you got the external chip a few years ago i think you have a lower version ps2 so your best bet would be to get the magic 3.1 chip and if your not that good at soldering i would suggest sending it in to somone to get installed for you and dont forget to check you private messages cause i sent you one.

7. noviceXP

noviceXP Member

Thanks alot guys for your reply. I checked my version -- version 4 and I'd like to research some more to see the best modchip that's dependable, usable for most games (DVD-Rs included). Soldering is not an issue, I would never try it myself and would send it out. Just don't know which would be best in my case -- ease of use, dependable, and allows wide variety of uses as far as games.