1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motherboard upgrade

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kiwi1, Jan 16, 2007.

1. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hello, soon I'll be attempting to upgrade the motherboard in a computer I have here. Will I need to format and reinstall windows?
    Thanks.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

what exactly are you doing?
    If you are getting a new motherboard then it will not effect Windows as that is on your hard drive.
    If you have a system like Dell that ships Windows with their computers then you will need to get another copy. The copies that they give you with a system work well on that system, but not with a new motherboard.
    I tried using the Windows from my Dell computer when i built a new on, and although it worked i had many glitches and error messages.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Its a "TIME" machine and was brought over from the UK. It has an MS-6378 ver2 I want to replace with anything I can find with socket A + AGP 8x slot. I have win98 and an XP upgrade CD and have since downloaded SP2. Reinstalling would not be a major loss as this machine has hardly nothing on it anyway, Im just worried my windows will no longer be valid.
    I'll have a read of that link, thanks

5. steimy

steimy Active member

well, there are free sources out there where you can get a full windows CD if you look hard enough. I can not really say a lot more in a public forum due to it being illegal.
    But i have seen both Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro
    around the net.