1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorola C650 PC link Windows XP USB cable: Initialisation failed

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by deov, Oct 20, 2004.

1. deov

deov Member

Hi All,

I recently purchased my new C650 mobile with camera.The handset looks neat. Though i have not been able to use the software that comes with the CD and the USB link.
    After installing, when i choose the Default profile, it prompts me to select the connection mode, where i select the USB link option.
    After that it just shows me a animated analogue clock, saying unable to detect the phone.
    When i select the Motorola USB modem, it says, unable to initialize the modem.
    when i try installing another modem, it trys to open it and fails saying port in use by another program.
    Does it use COM port to connect? at also tried TAPI for COM port.
    Am running windows XP prof. without service pack1 or 2.
    Can anyone tell me if they got similar problem and how they fixed it.
    Thanks in Advance!

2. 5quare

5quare Member

i'm assuming it came with mobile phone tools. i had to make sure i had the lastest version of phone tools in order for my phone to be detected. it has an autoupdate in the options somewhere. i also had to keep trying different USB ports in order for it to be detected. it uses COM ports.

3. deov

deov Member

yes, i got it from the mobile phone tools software. I tried getting the latest 2.21b version and installed it on top of the one i got from CD.
    Now, it connects to phone, it shows the name of the carrier on my PC software. but whenever i try to launch the Image or multimedia tools, it says "phone has broken connection"
    in short it doesnt seem to be keeping the connection alive. it keeps breaking. thus 95% times it shows phone refused connection, or connection broken..etc..
    Also, for uploading games to my PC, when i go to my mobile's Java settings. i do not see the Java App Loader menu item?
    When i selected the delete all java apps, it deleted the java apps i had got by default. so now, i do not have any java apps loaded, and since the Java Apps Loader is not available i do not know how to upload games/apps to my cell phone.
    any help?

4. 5quare

5quare Member

to enable the java app loader you need to install a program called PST. i believe 6.7 is the lastest version. there are tutorials out that help with this.

programs and tutorial can be found here:
    http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=2728

i never had the "broken connection" problem so i don't know what's the problem.

5. deov

deov Member

Hey there!
    Thanks a lot. The link you have provided is gr8!
    I had also seen something needs to be done to enable the java app loader. but wasn't getting the links for the downloads..
    have enabled the java app loader. Thanks! :)
    Regarding the 'broken link' that was i think a prob with my windows. I updated it with SP1 and now it looks perfect!
    cheers!

6. kjkool

kjkool Member

Hi,
    I have never connected a cell phone with a PC.
    I just bought c650, it didn't come with any connecting cable. I know it has a mini-usb port, but where do I get the cable from, and how do I upload ringtones from my PC. What software do I need for that.

Thanks,

7. 5quare

5quare Member

you can go to any computer or electronic store to get the cable. it is very common. i got one with my digital camera and my MD player. you don't need one that's made specific for the cellphone. the software to transfer ringtones is called mobilephone tools. you can get it from the link i provided a couple posts up ^. you really should read posts before posting. i've already answered this several times. this is the last time.

8. kjkool

kjkool Member

Thanks 5quare
    I did read your post above, but linked page says that the software is for Motorola File Transfer Guide V300, V400, V500, V525, V600

Mine is a c650, thats why I was asking.
    Secondly, I also have a USB cable for printer, but its head was too big, so I thought maybe some special cable is required.

But I'd still thank you for your time to answer my question.

9. 5quare

5quare Member

the software is for all motorola phones. you'll need to update it to it's latest version once you've installed it or it might not detect the newer c650.
    you'll need a mini-usb -> usb cable.

sorry for sounding like a jerk.

10. nostalgia

nostalgia Member

Hello !

One question about PST.I always get the error message "Phone not connected.Please connect and power up the phone."
    I have tried it both on Windows XP and Windows 98 Second Edition.
    What about this WIBU-KEY at the control panel?
    Is there any connection with the "security key" at PST's minimum system requirements (USB)?

Thanks in advance.

11. 5quare

5quare Member

it's been awhile since i've had to deal with PST so i don't remember what i did. as far as i can remember it has to do with the COM port you have your phone plugged into. i suggest to just keep trying to plug it into different USB ports.

i wouldn't worry about the other thing.

12. nostalgia

nostalgia Member

YES, I did it!
    I plugged the USB cable to another free USB slot and when my WinXP found new hardware, I was asked to show where the drivers are.The trick is to browse and direct windows to read drivers from the directory where PST has been installed (for me it was C:\Program Files\Motorola\PST).Normally you expect to find the drivers at the cd that comes with the phone...No way ! You just find them at the installed PST directory!

Thanks 5quare and all for your precious information!

13. olramemo

olramemo Member

I did all of this but there isn't a specific driver for the C650 and with the general gsm I can not go in the multimedia center.

14. Nagonaelf

Nagonaelf Guest

Look, I tried your link, it didn't work. All i want is a free driver download to get my c650 to work with my comp so i can upload some pics to my cell. If you know where to find it post back and tell me because right now not even my computer can find it when it searches the net for it.

15. shiroh

shiroh Guest

16. Nagonaelf

Nagonaelf Guest

Thanx!!!! You have no idea how much this has frustrated me recently. Again thanks.