1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorola phone tools v220

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by Roscoe777, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Roscoe777

Roscoe777 Member

I would appreciate an e-mail from anyone who may have the Motorola phone tools for the V220. I have the cable but need the cd and drivers.
    Thanks
    Roscoe
    Just to add I don't know if the Motorola phone tools 1.23 and 2.xx will work with my new V220
    Help please

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  2. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

So as not to take any credit away from anyone, I have listed EXACTLY what I did to install the programs and drivers for my V220 that I've had about 2 months. I have tried to give credit where credit is due.

First I spent about an hour reading through this particular forum thread about what works and what doesn't. I thought I too was doomed to failure. Anyway, go here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/111426

On page 7, look for the second post by mbrenegan. Not that user's second post, but the second post on that page. Click on that link, it was active as of 7:30PM EST. Download everything but P2k.zip, P2k98.zip and the sanyo file. (If I'm in error, I'm sorry. I don't know what the other files would be for.) You don't have to download the user guides if you don't want, but they may be helpful later as you are using the program. Also, it took a loooooong time to download these files as the connection downgraded fast to about 3kbps. So be patient.

I installed these tools (not yet though, hang on) on my laptop (Compaq 2100US) with WinXP Home SP1. Windows is completely up to date EXCEPT for Service Pack 2. I'm not brave enough to install it right now. LOL

[bold]REMEMBER:[/bold] This is from the perspective of someone with 1) a two year old laptop and 2) Windows XP with Service Pack 1 and ALL the updates from Microsoft's Windows Update site (except Windows XP Service Pack 2).

The USB cable I'm using is from my Sony TRV-22 MiniDV camcorder. It works perfect.

1. I created a directory (or folder) called MOTOROLA in my MY DOCUMENTS folder. I created three subsequent directories or subfolders in THAT directory: PHONETOOLS_v123c, PHONETOOLS_v221b, USB_MODEM
    (I only capitalized them to make them stand out; it doesn't make any difference whether you make these directories or not as long as you know where everything is.)

2. I extracted the USB Modem Drivers into the USB_MODEM directory. I extracted the phone tools v1.23c into its directory, and I just cut and pasted the phone tools v2.21b executable file into its own directory (I didn't try to extract it). The user guides were left in the main MOTOROLA folder.

3. I created a CD .. why? Because I wanted to. I dragged (or added) those three directories (folders) to my CD creation layout and then added the user guides separately.

3.5 Now that the CD is created just leave it in the CD drive. My laptop is still on and I'm still logged in (so don't log off your computer). However, you MUST be the administrator or a user with ADMIN rights.

4. I plugged the USB cable into my cell phone with the phone already turned on and it receiving a good signal (I read that it is important for your phone to have a good signal throughout this 'ordeal').

5. I plugged the USB cable into my laptop. Windows tells me that a NEW DEVICE has been found and it correctly identified it as a 'Motorola V220'. It asked me for the software or drivers. Since my newly created Motorola CD was in the CD drive, I just clicked NEXT. (I think the default was to automatically install the software). My CD drive started spinning and within a few moments it found the USB modem drivers and was installing them. This installation automatically created a SYSTEM RESTORE point for me before actually installing the USB Modem drivers since I forgot. :)

6. After that was done, I rebooted and logged back in (with a user that has ADMIN RIGHTS! - so if that's you, you're in luck).

7. I then installed Mobile Phone Tools v1.23c. At the end of the installation, it asked me if I wanted to start the program now. I unchecked the box and clicked FINISH. [bold]Remember that you do NOT want to start the program right now.[/bold] You want to update it first. Now you can REBOOT once again and log back in as your evil nazi network admin twin.

7.5 My V220 is still on and the USB cable is still attached to both phone and computer.

8. Now that you have rebooted and logged back in and all those programs you have initializing at startup have finished loading - you really should clean some of that crap up you know - you can check back in with your CD or wherever the Phone Tools v2.21b executable file is and double click on that file to begin the update process.

This will take a few minutes. I think it asked me for my area code and some other miscellaneous information ... probably b/c I've never dialed out on this laptop before since I have broadband and wireless. I don't recall there being anymore questions. So, the program finished and I rebooted again to be on the safe side.

9. Logged back in and fired up the Mobile Phone Tools program. It asked me to create a profile and I just left it at default. You can do whatever you want. Then this nifty little Motorola V220 phone pops up on my screen and initializes. A program menu pops out to the right. I clicked on Multimedia and transferred my pics my computer and syncronized my contacts and calendar and everything. Works great so far. No complaints. But then again, I'm easy. LOL And apparently from reading other users' posts I'm extremely lucky.

10. Good luck everyone. I hope this helps. And thanks to mbrenegan, GeeDaddy, and Risa. I also got valuable feedback from all of you that had problems with this stuff (so I guess that would most likely be the rest of you).

Anyway, thanks!

3. Roscoe777

Roscoe777 Member

The phone tools give me an unhandled error and stops installation
    Any ideas?