1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorola RAZR v3 File Transfer

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by mcarthum, Aug 24, 2005.

1. mcarthum

mcarthum Member

Hi, I'm new to the forums.

I just received my Motorola Razr v3 phone today (cingular), and I have been trying to figure out how to transfer pictures/ringtones to and from the phone. I've used a bluetooth adapter, which was able to see the files on the phone for an instant, and then I could never find them again. I could not get the phone to be detected via MPT using bluetooth.

Right now I'm trying to transfer files using a USB cable. I can get MPT to recognize and "install" the phone, and it even has the correct picture and whatnot. But when I go to the multimedia manager screen, I cannot transfer any files! The two large "transfer" buttons are simply greyed out. I have also tried MOBILedit! but it doesn't seem to work either. Can anyone help?

2. troyboy30

troyboy30 Member

boy that narrows it down! lol

need more info. what os you got? I assume you followed the install directions? With BT was your phone in discovery mode? Any items in device manager showing errors? It could be a ton of things. If you can get the mpt BT installed and working its all downhill. With the usb did you install cingular connection manager? Do you have a 'my BT plaes' icon on your desktop now? You might want to uninstall everything and start from scratch. Tell me what you have done and i'll try to help you out. MPT can be a pain. You can also search the forums on www.bvrp.com since they made the MPT software for moto. and there is also a great thread on www.howardforums.com titled how to get my pc to recognize my phone or something like that. check that out also.

3. mcarthum

mcarthum Member

I'm using Windows XP. Yes, I followed install instructions and I put my phone into discovery mode. No errors show in device manager. I'm not quite sure what cingular connection manager is or why I need it. I have made a succesfull connection to the phone via bluetooth a couple times, but I have since uninstalled all BT related software because my adapter is really unreliable and the included software is shoddy. Right now I'm just focusing on transfering files using my USB connection. I've reinstalled everything on a Windows XP laptop as well with the same results.

I DID, however, manage to get the p2k manager working with my phone. Is there any reason why I would need to use MPT if I can use the p2kman? Thanks for your help.

4. troyboy30

troyboy30 Member

well not if you have all of the drivers you need. The thing about starting with MPT is it installs most of the required drivers that you will need for everything else. I started with the BT version of MPT, then I used connection manager to install the cable. I'm convinced that's the reason I didn't have a single problem with any of the 9 other apps I installed afterwards. It seems the most common problems result from conflicts with using the generic Microsoft drivers instead of the correct ones, especially for blue tooth. Do you have a blue tooth entry in device manager? Does it have 'CSR USB Bluetooth Device' under it instead of a microsoft one? Under properties it should show WIDCOMM as the manufacturer if you still have MPT installed. Also do you have a bluetooth modem listed under modems? If so you can go to properties and select the diagnostics tab and query it to see if it's working properly. There is a suggested order of installation for all of these apps since each seem to install drivers needed by the next. Here are some guides and threads for you. My suggestion would be to start fresh with the bluetooth or cable version of MPT and go from there. If you need my device manager listing or anything for comparison let me know. Try these and let me know how it goes...

This is from Lord's noob guide....

one thing to note here. I highly recommend installing the programs in this particular order: mpt, pst, p2kman, then make sure that the phone works with all three of these programs, THEN install any other programs and they should theoretically work. It's in section 2. He mentions a step involving pst that I never had to do but I can't tell you why. All I used was the patch. Heres the complete guide....

http://motomodders.net/Default.aspx?tabid=41&mid=615&ctl=Details&ItemID=49

This is cingular connection manager, even though the page says communication manager, that the instructions on the back of my data cable told me to install. I have never used it, but I haven't had any problems with my cable connection either! lol

http://www.cingular.com/midtolarge/communicationmgr

Here is poetic_folly's new guide just for connection problems. I didn't have to do any of this, but like I said, I think doing MPT and the cable gave me the correct drivers to avoid these steps. He starts off focusing on PST so it's worth a shot....

http://www.motomodders.net/Default.aspx?tabid=1&g=posts&t=7703

Heres MT's guide to basics....

http://motomodders.net/Default.aspx?tabid=41&mid=615&ctl=Details&ItemID=50

Motomodders knowledge section. Tons of good stuff....

http://motomodders.net/Default.aspx?tabid=41

and motomodders software help section.....

http://motomodders.net/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=27

That should keep you busy for a while! lol Good luck

5. mcarthum

mcarthum Member

Thanks a lot troyboy. First of all, I managed to get MPT to work, FINALLY. I did what you said and installed and ran the Cingular Connections Manager program. It configured my USB connection and after that I was able to view the files on my razr v3 using Mobile Phone Tools.

Unfortunately, I now have another problem. I tried deleting an mp3 file from my phone which I had put there using p2kman, and although all seemed well at first, MPT gave me a message like "The mobile phone terminated the connection" after 30 seconds or so. I unplug my phone, and the damn thing is frozen. There is a non-backlit picture frozen on the external display and the internal display shows nothing. Pressing buttons does nothing, holding the power button does nothing. I had to remove the battery and put it back in to reset my phone. This same thing happened again after trying to copy an mp3 to my phone. The progress bar went to the very end and then my phone locked up. I know that my friend tried calling me during one of these transfers, maybe that screwed things up, but it's doubtful that it happened the second time. Any suggestions?

Btw, is there any way to reset the phone other than the battery removal method?

6. troyboy30

troyboy30 Member

Take the battery out for a while. Put it back in and see if it will power up. You was using the cable and it terminated the connection? Thats weird. I could see it with BT but not the cable. Hmmmmm

Try it again in the morning with MPT and make sure nothing is conflicting with your usb port or the com port its using. If it does it again, just take the battery out again and then get you a copy of p2ktools and try it. Just be careful when deleting ring tones with anything besides MPT. If you delete something that was in use you will lock yourself out of the ring styles details. Don't worry theres a fix, just try not to do it. lol

the best thing to do it to set everything to silent. I mean everything. ring tones, caller ids, alarms, java sounds, everything. Go though all of the ring style details and set everything to silent and even set keypad tones to 0. If you know for a fact a tone isn't in use you don't have to do this though. You can also just change the file attributes on all the files so you will be able to delete them from the phone. That way if its in use it will ask you before it will delete it

While im thinking of it. Backup your phone before you do too much please. The easiest thing to use is motokit because it will backup every file with one button. Don't be scared if you download it and it opens in Chinese! lol search around and you can find pics of how to change it to English. You can use the p2k's for backups too but you have to do each folder separately.

ok back to the tones...if you use anything besides MPT to delete tones you also have to delete the two db files in /a/mobile/audio/ and restart the phone. Those 2 files keep a log of all of the tones on your phone. If you delete tones and don't delete them, it confuses the phone because it can't find those tones you deleted. MPT does this on it's own. You can get all of them p2ks and motokit and a lot more over on motomodders.net if you can't find a good link here. I just got the new beta version of p2ktools if you want it.

http://p2ktools.motofan.ru/download/P2KTools.rar

and no I don't know of any other way to reset it besides removing the battery

That's it for me. I've been up almost 2 days. You should have enough to keep you buys! lol

good luck

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  7. Arnost

Arnost Member

Use Mobiledit, it can transfer multimedia files and other content and widely extends the use of a phone with its additional applications.

8. adam0r

adam0r Member

Hey... Is there *any* way at all of boosting the available mb on the motorola razr? its the one thing I'm disappointed with on the whole phone!

9. mcarthum

mcarthum Member

Yeah. If you flash the firmware to a newer version it should free up a mb or two, and I think you can delete unneeded media items to free up more space.

10. adam0r

adam0r Member

I was thinking more along the lines of an SD card slot mod or something :p

11. skeeter69

skeeter69 Member

hey i have a question, im really confused about how to transfer my created ringtones to my razr. i got MPT and Audacity where i cut down the ringtones, and i have this WAV to MP3 Encoder program that i used to compress my ringtones with..but when i go to save selected item on MPT and transfer it to my phone it says...unsupported format: no conversion possible... i read the links the person put on here but i dont have razorlame and lame so could someone help me out and give me a link to it as well...thanks

12. starchy

starchy Regular member

hi i have a razr v3 black from cingular, i have p2k commander to transfer file via usb but my phone didnt come with mpt....so after i transfer a compatible mp3 ringtone under 30 sec and the alotted kb
    i restart and i dont see it there. same thing with pictures/wallpapers i cant see them on my phone and they are under the requirments....also when i reconnect my phone to make sure they are on there and they are

so maybe someone can get me a good step by step guy or explain it in real good detail or maybe im missing something......
    or do i have to be unlocked or something cause i just got my phone yesterday so it is locked im pretty sure
    thanks for anyhelp

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  13. sambraile

sambraile Member

14. sambraile

sambraile Member

hey guyz, could you mind to send me a software for motorola razr v3 mpt tool