1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting Socket AM2 Cooler

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Estuansis, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

OK, So I'm noticing heat issues with my 4400+ recently. It started idling at 37*C when it usually averages 31-32.

I turn it off and give the cooler a wiggle. It pops off like it wasn't clipped in properly. There is no damage or shearing on my motherboard's heatsink mount and the heatsink's bracket isn't bent or damaged.

I'm using the Arctic Freezer 64 Pro. I've had this one running problem-free for almost a year. I'm guessing I just got lucky that it didn't pop off during operation.

Any tips on seating the heatsink properly without smearing around thermal paste? I found that I have to hook in one side of it and carefully use a screwdriver to pop the other side on. Then I just close the lever. This gave me solid cooling for about a year. But I would like any other's method.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the accepted method, don't know if there is any other way, and I've never heard of any problems with it.
    Ironically once when I moved my PC down to a LAN party, it would instantly power off as soon as I turned it on, and I found the heatsink was loose, a Freezer 7 Pro. That uses a completely different mounting method to the 64 though (and it's way inferior). All I can say is make doubly sure it won't come off again, that or buy a backplate-mounted cooler.

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Sorry for the long wait time sam.

My E Mail hates me -__-

But yeah, I was thinking about a back plate cooler.

I don't want to dump my Freezer 64 Pro though. It's never had a problem cooling or staying on until that one time.

I don't believe that the Freezer 7 Pro is inferior. It cools almost the exact same and can handle some monster overclocks before you need an upgrade. My temps are above normal but not exactly toasty either.

And I think the mounting design is much better. It takes me upwards of 1 hour to get my Freezer 64 on but it takes me all of 10 minutes to put on my 7 Pro and it's never had a problem staying on even taking it to LANs.

While I'm on about hardware retention brackets and whatnot... Why do people hate screwless video card slots on cases? I've never had a problem with mine. It holds that big old 8800GTX absolutely fine.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mine doesn't shut with my card installed, the PCB rises too high, so it's not currently attached at all. The screws aren't easy to do up either.
    As for the Freezer 7, no, the 7 is the better cooler, but the mounting system, though quicker, is pretty flimsy.

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I guess my Armor case is a bit different because it fits the 8800GTX fine and the clip closes normally...

I agree with the 7 Pro having a flimsy mount system but it hasn't yet given me problems so maybe I'm just lucky :)

The Freezer 64 could definitely have better cooling capacity. At stock my 4400+ idles at 28*C but at 2.6(400MHz OC) it idles at 32*C.

But at stock my e6600 idles at 29-30*C. At 3.4(1GHz OC) it idles at 33-34*C.

So while the Freezer 64 is a good cooler all things said, the Freezer 7 Pro can handle much higher OC's while holding comparable temps.

It also helps that I didn't have to crank up vCore to get my OC... but, still..

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are you one of the people who lives in a freezing cold room? I forget, because those are seriously low temps.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yes. They are very low temps :p

My room is in my basement. Freezing cold year round...