1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mov-to-AVI

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by diabolos, Feb 20, 2005.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Does anyone know how to create a Divx or Xvid file from a .MOV? I have tried using [bold]RadTools[/bold] but its prefomance has been skechy at best. I have had the problem of being able to convert some MOV files to Xvid but not Divx. Then when I tried to convert a diffent MOV file I couldn't use Xvid or DviX but Huffyuv worked just fine. I don't know what to do.

Whats worse is the file I was able to convert to Xvid would only play the video stream and not the audio stream on my DVD player (DVP-642 /37). The file playback fine on my PC.

Any guides, other than the ones that come up in a google search, would be helpfull. I know someone has done this before. I need an app for PC (win XP SP2 or 2000) not Mac.

Thankz for readin,
    Ced

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Try mencoder. mencoder.exe -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame input.mov -o output.avi, etc. Check out the docs for xvidopts and lameopts. Should also be able to load the file via dshow either directly or by AVISynth with directshowsource() for VirtualDub, etc.

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

All of the apps you have suggested are for Linux or Mac OS. I need a [bold]Windows[/bold] app.

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

mencoder available on all platform.

avisynth for windows, not sure linux.
    directshowsource is the only way i know right now

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Yep mencoder runs on win32, linux and OSX.
    AVISynth only runs on win32, unless you count wine, etc.
    directshow is windows only.

I did read your post before replying.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

celtic_d,

I apologize for any offense, but all of the places I saw said it was for Mac and Linux (after searching Google). Could you tell me where the best place to download [bold]Mencoder[/bold] would be (anybody)? Also I hear that [bold]RadTools[/bold] is spyware. Do you know anything about that?

Ced

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thankz for the link shiroh! Thank you celtic_d for suggesting [bold]mencoder[/bold], it worked perfectly. Im a little suprised by how quickly it converts!

My regards,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005