1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie editing in Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by missing30, Jan 22, 2007.

1. missing30

missing30 Member

Are there any recommendations for editing your own movies/dvd's under linux? I'm getting ready to take the "linux plunge" again, after a couple of years and want to take my latest hobby with me.
    Any recommendations?

2. whompus

whompus Active member

There are a few options. I like avidemux for mpeg and avi, keno for dv, and k9copy and xdvdshrink for dvd.

3. missing30

missing30 Member

4. whompus

whompus Active member

No I'm not. When I get time I may look into it a bit. Looks intresting from a fast look at your link.

5. whompus

whompus Active member

It does seem to be a powerful app. It was however a pain to get it running right. Had to search out a good many things it is dependent on. If you just want to check it out you may want to get a live distro with it installed to play with. There are a few the only one that comes to mind right now is elive. I got it to see how enlightnment works. I can not really say I liked it elive though.

This may be of some use for you to read. http://liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=88

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

just passing thru..i still can't comment on movie editing/etc in Linux as i haven't got around to that yet, but i can vouch for Enlightenment, i use it at home and work on 2 or 3 machines, it's lean and excellent

7. whompus

whompus Active member

I can now vouch for Enlightenment also. I still dont like Elive but not because of Enlightenment. The wife has seen a friends comp running dreamlinux and she wanted Engage. I setup Enlightenment E17 with engage as the dock for her distro and it runs really well. Her distro is LinuxMint Bea until Bianca is released stable in a couple weeks.

8. missing30

missing30 Member

Do you have experience with Suse? I started with Mandriva, but had a real bugger of a time getting my nvidia card working correctly with it and finally just gave up.

9. whompus

whompus Active member

No, Sorry, Not much. And none with nvidia. I am one of the die hard Ati guys.

10. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

I hate ati, but seeing as they've joined forces with amd to make the quad core processor, I guess I can't stay mad at them

any ways...I'm having a bit of trouble getting drivers for my digital camcorder, do you guys know any sites with stable linux drivers?

sorry for being some what off topic

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  11. whompus

whompus Active member

You might want to list the make and model of your comcorder. I doubt I can be much help with your camcorder but some here may, if you list what it is.