1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

movie only sometimes won't play on stand-alone player

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Mort81, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Sometimes when I make a backup with shrink (movie only useing reauthor) the backup will not play in my stand-alone dvd player. The disc will load but not go any further than the initial dvd player menu. Funny thing, the backup will play on my pc. Now if I redo the backup in full disc mode it plays fine on everything.

Could it be that movie only mode leaves out some instructions for my stand-alone player on some backups? It does this on about half the backups I've done in movie only mode.

I never had this problem with dvd x copy xpress movie only, but sometimes experienced some freezing problems at the very end because I couldn't adjust the target size. Thanks any comments or advice will be appreciated.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey mort81, this sounds like a compatability issue. Does your stand alone play specs include +r,+rw,-r,-rw playback. Your book should tell you. I believe every dvd player is different some will play + ,some -, some both. My apex stand alone can't play nothing off my pc. If i take my pc backups and reburn on my standalone dvd recorder,on the exact same media, then my apex will play them "despite the quality difference. My boss at work has an apex and he can play anything i burn. Pretty weird. I went through all that on my stand alone burner in april and started all over again on the pc burns. try: different media, if you can burn both + and - formats then try the opposite you are using, change speed. This may or may not help you out. I bought a sony dvp-ns325 just to play my + rw's on my stand alone recorder last spring. The specs show it play +/- r,rw and a whole bunch of other formats and I have no trouble on either pc or stand alone burner. I can even play scratched discs on it...Good luck

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Well like I stated earlier, all the backups I make of the whole dvd play perfectly on my stand-alone and pc. I only have this problem sometimes not always when I backup only the movie no menus or extras. Any ideas, ScubaPete, bigorange, or Nephilim.

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

That's strange. I back up all of my movies in the movie only mode and never had one problem. If I was guessing, I would say it is the player.

If it had to do with shrink, then it would not play in pc either.

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Mort81,

Is this the case with all movies re-authored?

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thanks for the reply flip218,
    No, some do some don't. I was wondering if the information is written different on some dvds where movie only mode doesn't aquire enough information to instruct my stand-alone how to play the backup. Does that make any sense. Like I stated previously, all my dvd shrink backups play perfectly on my stand-alone and pc when I copy full disc.

7. 199

199 Member

Im having the same problem, on some of the DVDs that I backup they won't play on the standalone DVD player, I don't know what the problem, the only thing I can think of is the DVD discs which im using which are SONY, on this post I have discussed my problem can anyone help, http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/126870

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Your problem is not the same. I believe you have a media issue. My problem is with re-authored backups only. My problem is not a media issue since [bold]all[/bold] my full disc backups play perfectly.

9. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Mort81,

That is wierd, this is the first time (at least for me), that I've seen this happen while re-authoring. Usually it either works or it doesn't.

Hopefully someone will have a solution. Which movies aren't working?

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

flip218,
    The last movie I had this problem with was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I tried it in re-author movie only two times and neither backup would play in my stand-alone but both would play on my pc. So I did it in full disc mode and guess what it plays flawlessly. Beats me. I'm afraid to even try re-author movie only anymore. If I can't watch em from my easy chair I consider them a coaster. Thanks.

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Although I'm at a loss for a technical explanation I've experience similar problems when trying to play reauthored backups in my buddy's Hitachi player. That thing will pitch a fit with anything less than a full disc backup and the things that go wrong are quite random. As far as I'm concerned there are definitely some players that for whatever reason don't like reauthored discs.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thanks Nephilim,
    I'll just have to live with the slight quality loss and additional encoding time associated with the additional compression of the full disc. Can anybody recommend another software that is compatable or superior to dvd shrink, but does not require as much time? I've heard CCE is superior but requires even more time and is more complicated. I like dvd x copy xpress but sometimes experience some freezing at the very end of the movie because I can't set the target size like I can with shrink. Thanks.

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Considering the time/quality difference I don't think it gets any better than Shrink :)