1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie too big for DVD Shrink to compress??

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by JPearson, Mar 10, 2004.

1. JPearson

JPearson Member

I have been having problems trying to back up the Movie "Terminator 2" with DVD Shrink. I've been using it a lot and this is only case that has presented problems. The Disc is 7.61 Gb and DVD Shrink only manages to compress it down to about 4.6Gb, ie. too big to fit onto a single DVD-R. Could it be that there is a maximum compression ratio? Although I find this unlikely since the program allows several movies to be accomodated onto one disc.
    Any suggestions?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

With discs of that size it's best to do a "movie only" copy where you leave out the extras.

What is the target file size set to in the options for Shrink?

3. JPearson

JPearson Member

The extras in this case are only 9MB, so that wouldn't really solve things, and the target (temporary) folder is a folder on my hard disk in which there is ample space. I find it very strange that DVD Shrink is unwilling to compress it down to the 4.464GB which is the target size setting.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried using DVDDecrypter to rip the film and then use Shrink to compress it? It's worth a shot.

I've the T2 Extreme Edition and Shrink shows the main title as being 3,866MB.

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

just compress it, then open it and compress it a little more so it fits.

6. JPearson

JPearson Member

the odd thing is that I've just made a successful backup of a disc that's 7.8Gb in size with DVD Shrink, it must be something to do with that particular disc?