1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie will Freeze

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cjk1975, Dec 27, 2004.

1. cjk1975

cjk1975 Member

I continue to have movies freeze during playback. I burn at a 4X speed with Nero. The DVDshrink process works fine and it will burn with out issue. I have the Target DVD size set at 4350MB. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

I'm using a plextor PX-708A and have been using Ritek Ridata Hub printable DVD-R.

2. ruffdawg

ruffdawg Guest

I actually have the same problem. I keep it in low priority mode, and I dont touch the computer at all, and when I copy the disc to an ISO and burn it using Alcohol 120%.

I have a Sony DRU-710A with Poloroid media.

What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2004
  3. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

I used to have the same issues till I switched dvd media. I have never used Ridata so I will not comment on them but try some of the new MAxell 8x disks made by Hitachi or Verbatim data life disks 8x also. If you check out the forums on DVD Media I think you will get some better answers there.

4. shrinker

shrinker Guest

I have burned about 25 or 30 dvd's with Shrink and Decrypter with mixed results. Lately I have developed a problem that I did not have before. About 5 or six minutes before the end of the movie, I get pauses and skips. They are not long enough to really miss a lot, but it is annoying to say the least. I do not have a total freeze, just skips and slight pauses and only toward the end , never any other place. Anyone else having this problem, and anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks for any help.

5. kchev

kchev Regular member

shrinker,
    try adjusting your target size to 4300MB in shrink "preferences"
    this will keep from burning to the edge of disc

6. shrinker

shrinker Guest

Thanks, I have not tried that. Come to think of it, it only is bad with the longer movies (slightly over 2 hours)

7. tibbs

tibbs Member

I am having a similar problem. I have burned about 30 movies using my media(it is a medium quality generic brand but i have had no problems at all for the first 30 back ups) and then all of a sudden, the past 10 burns have resulted in a good quality burn, but after exactly one hour, i get skips and freezes. I have tried altering all of the parameters with no luck. Even tried reinstalling Shrink. Any suggestions?

8. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Well ..... I have tried a few different disks. Princo .... Memorex .... Prodisc, ProdiscS03 (about 50% coasters)..... Fugi ..... and a couple of other cheaper disks ..... with mixed results ..... Allot of freezing skipping and pixilation.

I thought it was everything else .....Computer ..... Burnrer ..... Programs running. Untill I read some of the other posts here on the site. You should read them in the DVD-R Media section.

Since I switched to a good disk ...... Maxell 8x or Verbatim Datalife 8x ...... 99.9% succes on my burns. What a waste of time and money on the other cheaper disks which are hit and miss to play. BUy some good disks you WILL SAVE MONEY instead of the cheap disks.

Prodisk sell for 29.00 / 50 pk thats 60.00 to succesfully burn 50 movies if I get 1 of every two movies I burn that works. The Verbatim cost me 69.00 / 50 pk ..... if you take into concideration the time it takes you to burn those other 50 disks that do not work ...... it is well worth the extra 9.00 not to mention the agravation.

When you burn it is a good practice to shut down everything running in the background, email, anti virus .... etc and leave your computer alone while you burn your movie especially if your system is a little lacking, I am running a 2.9 gig Athlon 64 bit with 1 gig of memory with an NEC 3500 burner and I stick to that rule still after upgrading. You'll see the results when you will be able to watch your movie.

9. srmarsh

srmarsh Guest

I'm having the same problem and just wrote a new thread on the same subject! I have burned numerous movies with DVD Shrink 3.117 using the same media, Ritek 4.7 4X DVD+R, no problems until now. Movies are different lengths with no problems, until now. Just the last couple chapters freeze then play a couple frames then freeze again, plays to the end of movie, but freezes all the way! I'm using a Pacific Digital burner. Can't understand why I'm having problems now. These disks are not at the end of the pile and numerous no problem movies were made from the same batch. And why should a few of them be bad??? They should all be the same quality according to the place I purchased them from. Since our players are very picky about what media they will play... I found the Ritek to be one of the best to use. I too would love to figure this out it's getting way to expensive! Thanks

10. shrinker

shrinker Guest

Since trying Kchev's solution, I have burned about 10 dvds successfully. Only 1 skipped, but only in one place. The 4300 max solved my problem for now. Shrink

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have had that problem in the past. Iv been burrning for over 2 years. I finaly got tired of it and just started backing up just the movie part of the DVD and have not had 1 skip in a very long time. I like the Menus and extras but its getting to the point that they are adding so much of it that the compression is to low and the quility stinks. So my sugestion is to just do the movie of the DVD.

12. spagliuca

spagliuca Member

I, too, have been having pixilation, stop and start of playback, then the movie finally freezes from the middle of the movie to the end. Using a NEC 4X DVD Burner, P4 3.0, 512 mem, Raid O array using 2 80 gig SATA Western Dig drives. My first 6 months of burning were just fine - then it consistently had the above problems with all movies. Whether is was just the main movie or not. Using DVD Ripper, DVD Shrink, Nero or Roxio, with Memorex, TDK, and no name media. One thing I learned from all of my trial and errors was that the disk was very hot when it froze so I put it in the freezer for a minute and it would play fine for 5 - 10 minutes, until it became hot again. When I played the same movie in the Sony Playstation, it did not freeze at all. My summation is that the Sony Playstation has a fan constantly cooling the disk which caused it to play correctly. My question to all is - When might it be the Burners fault and not the disks that are used? I have a 3 year wanrrantee on this burner and have asked for an RMA and will be sending it back tomorrow. Of course they have warned me that if it is not the player at fault then It will cost me. How can I determine if it is indeed the player and do they need cleaning on a regular basis? I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed the burner after all my experimentaion with programs, media, burn rates, and sixe of burns and the consistency at which I have this problem.

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Iv went back to doing the titles and all using Recode2. Have had no problems with pixelation or anything, even baked up Friday_night_lights with all extras and that was almost a full DVD9 disc.

14. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

There are probably over 1000 threads about movies freezing in this forum. If you read through at least a few recent ones, you'll have your answer instead of waiting for someone to post for the 100th time what the problem could be. For me, it's either bad media, burning too fast, or having programs running in the background like anti-virus (which you have to disable by process in Task Manager, not just by closing the tray icon).

15. spagliuca

spagliuca Member

I apologise if I annoyed you. I did read at least 50 of the threads and found nothing about when it could be the burner. It was always the user, the programs, or the media. You have to admit that sometimes it is the burner. I found that out at another forum and not on this one and what the symtoms are. That is all I was looking for and found it elsewhere. Thanks anyway.