1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

movie with extension

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by diannaa, Jan 23, 2005.

1. diannaa

diannaa Member

Hello i download a movie but when i try to open it to it said it has an extension. The message say that the file u are attempting has an extension that does not match the file format. the extension the i see is wmv

what can i do?

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

are you sure thats the extension? to see what extension it is go to the folder that your file is in click on tools/folder options/View tab and down the list uncheck the box that says hide file extension for knowen file types. See if it actuly is an AVI file. if it isnt then somone could have changed the extension and making it a file that really isnt an AVI file.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

[bold]W[/bold]indows [bold]M[/bold]edia [bold]V[/bold]ideo ([bold]WMV[/bold]) The extension indicates the files should be opened with the Windows Media Player or a software compatible with the Windows Media file type.

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I think the problem they are having is somone changed the extension file to what it actully isnt. Iv had that happen before and changed the extension to a few well knowen formats and finaly got lucky and found out what extension it really was. I have no idea if there is a program out there that can actully scan a file and let you know what extension itt actully should be.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

If the files have been tampered with, then it is just a pile of useless files. I'd forget about it and start over. Otherwise it could be a fruitless search and a lot of time wasted. If you can't open the files, then how is one supposed to know what they are?

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Some ISP providers websites or Domains whatever you want to call them, will scan for Extensions that they wont let be uploaded on thier website. So people will change the extension of the file. So when they scan through to find extesnions that are not allowed on the site It wont find that particuler extension to kick the file off. The only problem then is renaming the extension of what the file was in the first place before they changed it.