1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie won't fit even after shrunk

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by rw2516, Aug 11, 2004.

1. rw2516

rw2516 Member

Ran across a dvd that I can't get to fit on an -R even after using DVDShrink. Tomb Raider(the first one). After analyzing everthing is green to go like usual. When burn process starts I get message box that tells me movie won't fit on the disc I have in the burner drive and to insert another disc that it will fit on. Strange. And yes, the bar at top of Shrink window is totally in the green. This is the only DVD which does this so I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but curious as to why it does this. Anybody else ran across this?

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

From the DVD Shrink 3.2 help file.
    Without Deep Analysis the amount of compression needed will not always be calculated correctly. This will cause the output size to be over or under the DVD Target Size. The size of this error will vary by movie and larger high action movies are more likely to have a larger error. If it is under size there is not much of a problem but if it is over size then there is a problem because it will not fit on a disc.

Many people who do not want to take the time to use Deep Analysis get around this problem by reducing the DVD Target Size.
    Edit > Preferences... > DVD Target Size > Custom.
    The default DVD Target Size is 4464MB.

What you would have to reduce that to is hard to determine because you do not know the size of the error for any particular movie. I have seen people use sizes of 4400MB, 4364MB and even 4300MB. I guess if you want to be sure that it will work in every possible case then that lowest amount will probably work in every possible case.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  3. rw2516

rw2516 Member

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of possible inaccuracy in calculation of target size. I did finally get it to work by reducing some unwanted extras to still pictures. Thanks again.