1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies Freeze During Playback

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by swadewade, Oct 8, 2004.

1. swadewade

swadewade Member

I recently backed up about 10 movies, and half of them freeze halfway through playback in my dvd player. Scuba Pete was nice enough to write me out a detailed guide on how to use Decrypter/Shrink, but I have to say I did these on CloneDvd2 (I like the interface, what can I say). My burner is new, I'm using Sony media. Where do you think the discs went wrong? Is CloneDvd2 no good? Do you think something happened during the writing process? Could the original movies be to blame? Any help would be greatly appreciated before I continue making coasters.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi swadewade, ScubaPete's guides are excellent so if you followed them the problem is somewhere else. That problem is usually poor quality media. However Sony is usually pretty good. Maybe try some of the other brands like Ritek or Verbatim. Its sometimes just trial and error to find what your burner likes best. Also do not use stick on labels and try burning at a slower speed if possible. Shut off all programs that start at boot up and don't multitask while doing the backup process. Hope some of this helps.

Jerry

Forgot to mention that I use CloneDVD 2 with no problems at all so its not that program either.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  3. swadewade

swadewade Member

Thanks for the speedy response, Jerry. My main concern was that CloneDVD2 was to blame, and since you use it, that clears that up. I think the culprit here is "multi-tasking" as you've said. I really appreciate your help. I try it again.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

While DVDShrink is the best FREE program out there, I have always used one of the CloneDVD versions. I find it easier to use (not by much) and like the options to edit while still keeping the menu intact and working. Just One member's opinion. I'm not trying to take anything away from Shrink by this statement.

Jerry

5. swadewade

swadewade Member

Ok...after another day of "coaster making", I realized dropping the write speed to 4x would probably help....and it did. Just wanted to share. Thanks again.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad you got it working, Dropping burn speed does usually help if you are using cheaper blank media. I've read that 8X is about max speed you want to try with the best quality media. Anything faster causes burn errors.

Jerry

7. simster01

simster01 Member

t

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  8. bhelf

bhelf Member

How do you change the speed? I have DVD X Copy express and some of the problems I have read here sound like the same problems I am having.
    All the replies say to burn no faster than 2X.
    How do I change the speed?
    thanks to all who reply.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I don't think you have that option with X copy Express. Maybe try to find some blanks rated 2X or 4X if you are using 8x.

Jerry
    Also I suggest you remove your email address from the last post. Spammers love to see them listed.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  10. bhelf

bhelf Member

TO Jerry746.
    Good idea......how stupid of me.
    How can I remove my email address from that post I made yesterday.
    Regards

11. Veblin

Veblin Active member

At the very right side of every post is a icon. Your posts you will have a edit icon. Other peoples posts will have a icon to send them a PM(private message).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  12. bhelf

bhelf Member

Veblin,

Thanks loads........

13. bhelf

bhelf Member

Jerry746,
    You mentioned to swadewade not to use stick on labels.
    Why not? what does the label have to do with it?
    I sometimes have the same problem. I have switched to a slower speed DVD (2.4x) and that has helped, but, now I am wondering if my stick on labels (after I make the copy) could be the part of my problem on playback. We do have 2 CD labeler printers at work. Perhaps I should scan the master label and save it to a CD RW and then print it on to the DVD at work.
    I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Bhelf

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  14. swadewade

swadewade Member

From what I've read on this board, labels are notorious for "off-balancing" your dvd, causing playback problems, as well as peeling off and getting stuck in your player (can't even imagine, but hey...). Personally, I've never had a problem with dvd's that I've labeled myself, nor have any of my friends, but if your having playback problems, people are gonna blame the labels for sure.

15. bhelf

bhelf Member

swadewade,
    Thanks, I think I will try labeling a DVD in our label
    printer at work. It prints right on the DVD or CD. No paper label needed. Appreciate your tips. Never thought about a label causing it to be out of balance.

16. chrystal

chrystal Member

Hi guys. I also have a problem with my dvd's getting choppy and eventually freezing during playback (usually only within the last 20 min or so before the end of the movie). I've searched the forums but I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

I used DVD Identifier and found out that the media I'm using is Ritek G05 DVD-R, my burner is the NEC ND-2500A with updated firmware. I use DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero 6 Ultra to burn my movies. I usually don't run any programs while burning or even use my computer for that matter.

The strange thing is that the backups only get choppy near the end on standalone players on my tv (I've tried many different ones). But when I watch them on my computer with WinDVD 6, it plays fine.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

17. bhelf

bhelf Member

chrystal,
    One of the things I did to slove my playback problem was to use a slower speed DVD. I was using various brands of 4x. I switched to 2.4x by RIDATA (made by RITEK). Bingo............the problem went away.
    I also turned off my screen saver and deactivated my antivirus software. This may not work for you but it sure helped me out. I use X copy express by 321 studios

18. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi bhelf, Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I sometimes answer from work but its been a mess there sorting out flood damage from a month ago We are scrapping out about $100,000 worth of video electronics and appliances. Some of the other guys already answered part of your question about label problems. They do tend to throw discs off balance. Another problem they cause is that they absorb laser heat and that causes the disc to warp. And as stated the label could come off inside and destroy your machine. Direct printing on the disc is the best way to go if you have the proper equipment. When my printer decides to die thats what I'll be buying next.

Jerry

19. bhelf

bhelf Member

jerry746,
    We have special printes at work that ONLY print on CDs or DVDs.
    They have a drawer just like a CD or DVD does. Insert the disc, close the drawer, and hit "print" from your PC label software. They only print on discs.
    Thanks for your input though

20. bhelf

bhelf Member

chrystal,
    I bought 50 DVDs (2.4 speed, brand RIDATA made by RITEK)) from NEWEGG.com for $36.00. You may want to see if you can buy a few 2.4s locally and try them before you buy a lot of them. So far all the movies I copied at 2.4x playback great. By the way, do you still have the manual that came with your DVD burner?
    If so look at it to see if it recommands a certain brand and or speed of DVD. My manual recommanded 5 differant brands one of which was RITEK. I could not find any of those 5 brands anywhere. I then read that RITEK makes RIDATA so I gave them a try. RIDATA is the only brand I will buy from now on. One thing though, those 50 DVDs did not come on a spindle. Just wrapped in plastic. Remove the plastic and I had 50 DVDs all over the table. Fortunatly we had several empty spindles at work. Plus I bought 2.4 +RWs so I can reformat and reuse if I want to.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004