1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies Freezes/Won't Continue to Play

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by baddassb, Jan 22, 2005.

1. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Used Shrink DVD 3.2 according to instructions, ripped 3 DVD movies to DVD+R. During play, all 3 movies freezes (suddenly stops). Any idea why or suggestions? Followed instructions to the letter. Thanks in advance. :)

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

what brand of media are you using?

3. brobear

brobear Guest

It would be even more helpful if you used the freeware program DVD Identifier and supplied us with the manufacturer code along with the brand name.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Forgot to mention, Flip hit upon one of the most common causes of your problem; poor quality media.

5. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

I'm using hp dvd+r 8x

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Ireland (XCopy chief mod) says those are pretty good. So I would say try burning slower (4x). What speed are you burning at?

7. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Not quite sure. Using LITE-ON DVDRW +/-, which is 8x:4x:12x (for +) and 4x:2x:12x (for -). Nero's InfoTool displays the Read/Write speed at 8x. But, being new at this, I'm not sure what the burning speed is. Is there anyway to find this out, or should I try burning another? If yes to the latter question, how do I check and/or change the burning speed? Thanks again in advance :)

8. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

Okay, I figured out how to change the speed when I selected the Backup option in Shrink. It was set for Maximum, and I manually changed it to 4x. Will reply back in about 45 minutes with results, since that's how long it will probably take to burn at that speed. Thanks again in advance :)

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You beat me to the backup options tab and figured it out. That should help. 4x is the recommended speed for most members.

If the freezing problems are at the end of the movie,try taking your target size in dvd shrink to anywhere from 4300 to 4360 mbs. Open up dvd shrink,edit,preferences,set target to custom and enter new target size,ok.

Hope it comes out ok for ya, later

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

I'd tend to agree with Ireland. Unless they changed manufacturers recently, the media is manufactured by Mitsubishi (MCC). That's why I mentioned DVD Identifier and manufacturer codes earlier.

Being new to the program, you probably left the burn speed at the default setting. Hopefully, if you'd changed it, you would remember. When you enter Backup to do the encoding, the "Backup DVD" window opens. Select the "Burn Settings" tab on the far right. Toward the bottom of the window under Burn Speed is a drop down window. Click the down arrow to expand the window and select 4X or lower. Before going on, select the "Quality Settings" tab. Select both option boxes if available. This takes longer, but gives a better video if the compression is more than 85%. The "Target Device" should be correct, you said it burned, just poorly. Click OK and continue on.

By the way, what program are you using to burn the finished file and what do you have "Target Device" set to in the "Backup DVD" window?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  11. brobear

brobear Guest

OK, you guys beat me to the posts, but other than the speed setting, the rest of the post is still applicable. Quality settings may be useful. What is the Compression on the movie you're doing? BTW, what are the movies you're ripping? Also, are they in good condition; i.e. are there scratches and smudges?

Another thing you might try is to rip the files to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter and then open the HD files in Shrink. This gives a smoother flow of data and sometimes helps over using the temp file setup in the normal recording process.

12. baddassb

baddassb Regular member

YES - it worked! YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST! I guess it was the burning speed. I re-authored the disc, taking the main movie only and the compression is 100%. The quality setting can't be changed at 100%. I'm ripping original DVD's, using Nero 6 to burn and my target is my "E" drive. I'm now able to navigate through all chapters without freezing. I'm hopeful that all remaining DVDs copy well. Again, thanks for all the advice.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome. Glad you got it going. Mr Bass at http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/ has a Shrink guide that points out some of the improvements in the 3.2 over the earlier versions. Another good Shrink site is http://www.dvdshrink.info , there are some good virtual guides and other pertinent info on Shrink there. You can access the Shrink forum from there as well. The author of Shrink participates in that one.