1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies not writing anymore

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by prodigy21, Mar 9, 2005.

1. prodigy21

prodigy21 Guest

I've been backing up movies for over a year now, and all of a sudden I get write errors every time I try to burn a movie from an original. I use dvdxcopy plat.,xcopy express, nero,and dvd decrypter. I can burn cd's with no problem also ps2 games with nero or dvd decrypter with no problem. Any ideas please help!

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

sounds like it's X Copy's fault, and that doesn't surprise me. You can use DVD Shrink, it's free, and combined with DVD Decrypter will copy all movies, including these newer encrypted movies. Shrink is not as user friendly, but like anything, once you get the hang of it it's simple. I also like the backup quality of Shrink over X Copy, as do so many others here.

3. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Have you changed the type of media you are using? If you use Decrypter then Nero do you still receive the write error? What's the exact error message?

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

about how many burns have you got out of your burner ? i had a sony that died with almost 500 burns on it the same way you describe your problem . it would burn cd's fine and before it quit all together it would burn dvd's at 2x . if its possible try burning at 2x . have you checked to see if you are in dma mode in the device manager ? is your drives firmware up to date ?

5. shark29

shark29 Member

Squizzle,

Out of curiosity, what do you mean you like the backup 'quality' of Shrink over DVD X Copy? You are copying nothing but x's and o's basically in digital format. There should be no difference between the two, assuming you are using decent media. I still primarly use DVD X Copy, and never notice a single difference between the original and the copy.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you dont think there is a difference give DVD Copy 3 a try and then make your same statement. There is a noticable quality differences in the software you use.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  7. rmbrewer

rmbrewer Member

I bought 50 khypermedia dvds from a company and almost
    everyone of them did the same thing. I have a Iomega SuperDVD writer and it finally quit taking them and I had to throw them out. Cheap junk. I have used Sony, Memorex, HP, Ilo from Walmart, Teon from Staples and they all worked great and NO errors. I then put one of the last Khypermedia disks in and bam would not write to it. Check your media....IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

8. shark29

shark29 Member

Hey BBMayo,

Never used DVD Copy 3 myself so I couldnt say one way or another, I was strictly talking about DVD X Copy versus DVD Shrink. Although, if its just ripping the files off of a DVD, you wouldnt think there would be a difference what program ripped it, assuming no encryption of course.

9. sadsac

sadsac Guest

My friend has x-copy. He says you can't...or at least he doesn't know how to....edit out the subtitles and unnecessary audio tracks. When you edit out all this unnecessary crap with DVD shrink, you get better quality because of less compression. Maybe that's what he's referring to.

10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

KHYPERMEDIA is complete GARBAGE! I got 20 of them for Christmas and ended up with 20 coasters. Most of the time my drive wouldn't even eject them. I'd have to shut down the computer and stick a pin in the hole to get it out.

@Shark29
    Most movies are on dual-layer discs (DVD9) which have a capacity of about 8.5 GB. I'm going to assume the media you are using is single-layer (DVD5) which is 4.7 GB. Have you noticed pixelation on your X Copy movies? If not, watch them on a bigger TV and you'll see it. So in order to compress the data, you have to change it. So it's not a 1:1 copy, more like a 2:1 copy. And it's not X's and O's, it's 0's and 1's.

11. shark29

shark29 Member

Ahhhh, okay, you mean with compression. See, I dont use compression, I split DVD9 disks into 2 discs using DVD X Copy (not Platinum, I hate Platinum). I see what you mean now Squizzle. I was just talking straight rips with no compression.

12. prodigy21

prodigy21 Guest

I use Verbatim 4.7 DVD+r's, the same media I have been using. I get the same error message with dvd decrypter and nero also. I didn't install any new firmware because I never needed them with verbatim dvd's. I did probably burn almost 400 or 500 dvd's, so you could be right it might be my burner on it's way out, I have a NEC ND1100A burner. How do I check in device manager if it is in DMA mode?

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

14. rmbrewer

rmbrewer Member

Another thing to check for is if you have Anydvd running on your computer. Even if your trial period is expired it might still effect your computer. When it was installed on my system and after the trial was over it locked me out of my drives during writing. I could use either of my burners to read disks but when I went to write them the programs never saw blank disks in the drives to use. Only thing I did was go into control panel, add/remove programs and uninstalled it. I then went through my registry and deleted any reference of Anydvd, elby, or slysoft. Once I did my computer is back up and burning like before. This is just an idea to try. It might help.

15. Jazyy2000

Jazyy2000 Member

Now this is the way you help someone without critisizing them which is what I got from a couple of %$$&77 . My point is the user is already stump so why make him/her feel worse? ... JUST KEEP IT FRIENDLY... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005