1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies on xBox

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by BryanNH_3, Dec 22, 2007.

1. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Hey people ... looking to start backing up my DVDs to my xbox ... I'll either stream them, or more likely I'll save them in an external HDD hooked up to the xBox with USB. What software do you all suggest to use to backup my movies WITH AC3 (Dolby Digital) sound? I tried using some random divx software for this but the xBox couldn't open it ... Any help is much appreciated!

2. St_Nick

St_Nick Guest

I use DVDecrypter to extract from the DVD then DVDshrink to get it in .iso format.

3. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

I've played with DVD Decrypter ages ago ... does it do 2 things: 1) Leave the Audio in AC3/Dolby Digital Format ... 2) Extract the DVD as a playable file for the xbox so that I don't have to do anything but xfer the file to my external hdd?

4. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

5. steimy

steimy Active member

The best two programs you will actually have to purchase.
    AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. These will make pefect back ups of your movies in their original format. It will shrink them to fit a normal DVD but can be played in any DVD player. It will also do HD-DVD as well.

You have the choice to remove some advertisements and trailers, foriegn languages, and sub titles to make the quality a little better. And never worry when you see that the quality meter is only about 50% because you will still get a top not copy.

DVD Shrink is ok and is free, i used it before i bought the above. But the above also has updates to their programs at least once a month.

6. Jawaswag

Jawaswag Member

Can you play backed up DVD's (iso or folder format) on your xbox360 from your media center computer??? Would I have to mount the iso to a virtual drive or is there a emulation prog?

Thanks

7. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

No - doesn't work - I had media center try to play the TS files from a DVD backed up from DVD Decrypter and it said it cannot play the movie over a remote desktop connection - meaning thru the media center extender.

So ... does anyone know of good software to use to backup your DVD's with DVD picture quality and AC3 (Dolby Digital) Sound? I've tried several, but they mess up the audio, take forever, or have low quality ... Thanks!

Shouldn't this be as simple as making MP3's from a cd?!?!?! I mean, in essence it is the SAME EXACT thing ... Especialy now days with everyone having access to movies on a portable player the same way they do for CD's - granted, when the technology was created for DVD's they didn't want people to pirate them ... its my DVD, I should be able to play it wherever I want!!!

8. joe32804

joe32804 Member

FairUse Wizard does an EXCELLENT job in converting DVD's to Avi (XVID) format. It's a timely process, but is by far my choice.

Hope this helps.

9. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

i'll check it out - thanks!!

10. atomicxl

atomicxl Guest

I've been using Nero Recode to backup my DVDs to H.264 in MP4. You can stream then but the 360 doesn't support alot of the features that make MP4 a good container.

- It can play MP4 files with subtitles, but it can't display the subtitles
    - MP4 with multiple audio tracks will not load.
    - MP4 audio must be in LC stereo.

I've got a ton of anime rips that are useless because I copied both the english dub and japn audio. Everything that had a commentary track won't play either. I ripped alot of stuff with anticipation of buying a 5.1 receiver... none of that will play on the 360 either. Currently, the MP4 implementation on the 360 is absolute garbage. Legally, they shouldn't even be able to say it supports it, because it doesn't support any of the basic features. I think that eventually they'll offer something thats acceptable, especially if Sony does it.