1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies still skipping...What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JJenn74, May 3, 2005.

1. JJenn74

JJenn74 Member

Hey guys. I thought I had this problem taken care of but I just tried to watch my copy of "Elektra" and it skips like crazy. I even bought a new burner, http://www.godigitalmax.com/products.html , and that doesn't seem to work any better. I'm using Maxell DVD-R and using Decryper and Shrink using the process in the guides. I tried DVD+R as well but my DVD player is about 5 years old so I thought DVD-R would work better. I've tried watching them in my Playstation 2 and they skip there as well, not as bad but they do skip. It's kinda strange because the movies skip and different and random times. I viewed "The Incredibles" and it barely skipped at all but tried to rewatch it yesterday and it skipped so much I had to stop it. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to test the file before I burn it? I'm burning at 2X and the discs are good quality. I'm lost!

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi from what i know i would say its the discs! are these discs the ones you used always?

also try dvd identifier to see the proper maker of the discs as there are alot of fakes!!!!

but i would try ritek!

does it skip all way through? or mostly at the end?

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  3. JJenn74

JJenn74 Member

It's random. Sometimes 20 minutes in and sometimes 50 minutes in on the same movie. I've checked the discs ID and it's a good one. At least some people in here have said it is. They are made by Maxell.

4. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

One thing I like to do is to test by burns in different DVD Player.
    Of course we have 3 different ones in the house so it's easy for me to try :)

Also, run your burned DVD into http://www.DvdInfoPro.com
    and see if there's any read errors.

If you media is error free, maybe it's your DVD Player.
    I have heard that PlayStations are pretty picky on burned media.

My 2 cents worth...

5. JJenn74

JJenn74 Member

Is the DVD Burner I bought any good? I've got it installed on an HP Pavilion cpu I bought about 4 years ago running Windows XP Home Edition. Could that be the problem?

6. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

we need more of your specs....RAM, processor speed, and also, at what speed are you burning the dvd's on? It should be at 4x....

7. JJenn74

JJenn74 Member

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

you can usaully tell on bad media, try find the oldest disc you got copied and try play it! cheapo degrades over time and just gets worse! i persoannly still think its the discs???

playstaions are very picky on media used, i have

PS2
    XBOX
    3 DVD standalones
    3 computer dvdrom drives

also access to another 5 dvd players minimum

and the discs i use RITEK aqll play perfectly even the ps2 / xbox

i had the same problems as you with so called good media, just moving over to ritek cured everything,

try it may work, also i burn with nero or dvd decrypter

9. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Your lens might have some dust/particles...you could try getting a lens cleaner and give it a whirl...

Also, check and see if there are some scratches. Some may be hard to see as you'll have to hold it on a certain angle with light reflecting it...

Fingerprint smudges could also be a culprit, but I doubt it...

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi JJenn74,
    Do your backups play back ok on your pc? Have you updated your burner with the latest firmware? I'm not familiar with that brand of dvdrw, but it looks identicle to a lite-on. I wonder if it's a rebadged litey. If it is you can booktype dvd+r media dvd-rom making them much more compatable.

Do you have nero and if you do could you do a disc quality scan and report back with the results? Also if it's a rebadged litey you could scan your burned discs with a free proggy called kprobe. Here's the link if you want to try it. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=83441 If it won't work then it's not a rebadged litey as kprobe only works with litey's and rebadged litey's

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I agree with mort,I haven't heard of that brand name.

Maxell media is usually very good. They have ricoh,ty,hitachi,and ritek making their media. But some burners do have problems with one of these manufacturers.

With those symptoms you describe,we need to know if that burner can play it's own backups ok on your pc.It could also be many other things:
    Multi tasking
    Fragmented hard drive
    Labels,paper-sticker labels
    Dirty lens

12. yrogerg

yrogerg Guest

I believe I have that same godigital max DVD burner and it is apparently a Lite-On SOHW 1633S.

I bought some cheap COMPUSA dvd's (CMC rebranded) and they skipped horribly. I now use the Sony ones and everything is perfect.

13. yrogerg

yrogerg Guest

I believe I have that same godigital max DVD burner and it is apparently a Lite-On SOHW 1633S.

I bought some cheap COMPUSA dvd's (CMC rebranded) and they skipped horribly. I now use the Sony ones and everything is perfect.

14. beetmixer

beetmixer Guest

Yer I had the same sort of problem and 50% of my back-ups failed.
    I used good media (verbatim) and defragmented etc.
    Even tried 2x speed .
    Found the best way to get a 99% success rate , no skips etc on the movie was to dvd shrink it then defrag the hard drive the file is on and then shutdown and restart comp.
    I have no programs running ( disconnect from the net) and disable my norton anti-virus & internet security , then I burn the iso file with Sonic Mydvd .
    The comp burns it merrily , no hard disc activity hardly at all and back-up is 99% of the time perfect and my standalone dvd player is a real touchy monster. Hope this helps. Dont forget to enable norton afterwards.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Looks like JJen74 got the problem solved, but incase you didn't I would recommend useing good quality dvd+r media booktyped dvd-rom and you could also try resetting your eeprom. If you would like to try either of these let me know and I'll help ya out.

Mort

16. JJenn74

JJenn74 Member

Ok...now I think I understand what's wrong. I haven't tried to burn since but I will try with all your suggestions. Just so I'm sure, how do I go about booktyping to DVD-ROM? Can I use DVD-R or just DVD+R? Which is better for my problem? Also one BIG question, I have about 20 movies burned that skip from time to time and need to reburn them. Can I use the copies I have as a source to reburn them the correct way? They seem to have all the information and can be played in my CPU.
    Thanks

17. JJenn74

JJenn74 Member

you could also try resetting your eeprom.

I don't even know what that is! I guess I'm not quite as smart as I thought. Please fill me in. I've already defragged my hard drive.

18. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Also, test burn a DVD-/+ R at a slower speed and see how your standalone,PS2 and DVDRom handle that.. I had a few DVD-Rs that skipped/pixelated really badly so I slowed down the burning speed, disabled AV/FW and any other resource hogging / CPU intensive app running and the problem has pretty much gone away.. still get some jitteryness now and again but I blame it on the media..

Oh yea, make sure your dvd writer's cache is set properly. my NEC 3500AG's cache/Buffer jumps all over the damned place when burning DVDs, which is normal operation for the NEC or so Ive read from hrs of research..

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Here is the link to the lite-on tools collection where you can find the booktype utility.http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=83441 Note: you can only do this with dvd+r/rw media. Read the directions that come packaged with the download. I'm not 100% sure it will work with rebadged lite-ons but it is worth a try. You can check to see if it worked with this free proggy. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ Load your burned dvd into your dvdrw then open the program and click identify. Where it says disc and booktype it will say [dvd+r]-[dvd-rom] if it worked. I booktype all my +r media dvd-rom and am yet to find a set top player that won't play them. No freezing or pixelation. Make sure you use only good high quality proven media. Stay away from memorex, no name, and retail store brand name media.

Try that first as I'm not sure the eeprom utility will work with rebadged lite-ons. If the booktype utility doesn't work we can try this next.

20. JJenn74

JJenn74 Member

I've burned a couple DVDs (National Treasure and The Looney Tunes Collection) and tried bookmarking as DVD-ROM. They seem to work great. My only question is in DVD Decrypter there is no booktype called "DVD-ROM" under the Lite-On tools. I used the one that says "Drive(for DVD+R/+R DL Media-EEPROM!)" is that the right one? There is also one called "Drive(for DVD+R/+R DL Media)". What is the difference? I'm using DVD+Rs and using Decrpter and Shrink.
    Thanks for the help.