1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving .ISO image to DVD disk.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jsjpov, Aug 27, 2004.

1. jsjpov

jsjpov Member

Is anybody able to help me please?...Up untill Windows XP SP2,I have been successfully moving my .ISO images onto DVD's with Nero 6.I have limited space so this is the only viable means I have of storing the images.Since I installed SP2,I have had no end of problems with Nero including being told by my software that it is no longer compatable with my op.sys.I have tried updating my software on the Nero website but this hasn't helped.If anyone can tell me of some other software that will actually put the .ISO image on disk,unburnt,I would be eternally grateful!...Preferably Freeware please.I've taken a good look at my DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter,but neither of these seem to offer this option.PLEASE HELP!!!

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Do you have our latest Nero 6.3.1.20 installed?

What are the exact error messages you get when you attempt to burn an .ISO image to a Data DVD?

Regards,

Craig

3. jsjpov

jsjpov Member

Thanks for a quick response!I have only had the one message come up telling me that my version of Nero isn't compatable with my operating system.I have been to the Nero website and dl'd and installed the latest updates,but things still aren't right.I don't get the compatability message anymore,but trying to use Nero has turned into something of a nightmare!This evening alone I have gone through a whole pack of ten DVD-R's trying to get things working correctly.Basically the program takes about a week to start and then just keeps on opening and closing my DVD-RW.The worst bit is it keeps on writing something to my disk every time I insert a new disk....without me telling it to do anything!It's not a great deal of info,but just enough to make the disk unusable.I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Nero and I've even gone the whole hog and changed my DVD-RW thinking it may be a fault with the hardware...Nothing.I'm completely lost.Before SP2 there were no problems.I'm at a loss...

4. GIJohn

GIJohn Member

Went through a whole 10 pack?? Well at least now you have no excuses for condensation rings on the coffee table!!

I have been hearing about people having troubles with not only Nero but also Ad-Aware, virus scans, and firewalls.

I think I am going to hold off on installing it for a while and see if craprosoft can resolve this somehow.

5. jsjpov

jsjpov Member

I'm seriously thinking of formatting my hard drive and starting again from scratch!Personally,I thought Microsoft were making a big song and dance about SP2 being a 'quality' release and not driven by a release date...My a**e!I've sorted a solution to my problem though,albeit an expensive one.I've gone out and bought myself a new hard drive for a second machine I have that ISN'T running SP2.All my problems solved for the time being,but believe me,I'm not a happy chap!

6. Jdk670

Jdk670 Member

I am new at making backups of my DVD so I started off doing some research. I found DVD Shrink and DVD decrypter. One frisbee and that was the first one. Appx. 50 dvd backups later none.

7. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi JSJPOV,

You indicate that as soon as you insert a disc Nero is writing something to the disc before you even launch Nero. To be truthful, that simply is not possible. Even if you had our InCD 4 software installed, it would only launch the InCD 4 software and you would be prompted to format the disc, but it would not write anything to the disc without your direction. So that would indicate another software is grabbing the drive, and that would also explain the problems you had with Nero in that it would take forever to start. And it sounds like it was fighting for control of the drive with another program.

I know you found a quick solution by purchasing another Hard Drive, but in case you decide to go back and try and resolve the issue on the other hard drive, you should definately look into what other software you have installed on your system.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    Technical Director
    USA

8. jsjpov

jsjpov Member

I know that you don't want to say that anything is wrong with my Nero,I can appreciate that,but something was definately wrong!My system has been running EXACTLY the same software for the last eight months with no changes other than Microsoft patches.You may find that hard to believe,but I have everything I will ever need (for the immediate future anyway...).Everything was fine and working in harmony with everything else...untill SP2.Please don't tell me that it is impossible for something to be written to my disks...It has happened!If you are able to offer any further suggestions,I would be glad to hear from you again.Also,if this problem persists and you are able to verify your identity,you would be more than welcome to inspect my configuration to determine the problem and prevent any further issues for other Nero users after installing SP2.

9. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Jsjpov,

I have no trouble pointing the finger at Nero when its our problem. And we did have issue with SP2 with older versions of Nero, and as others have recently pointed out we have some issues that are occuring causing Nero hangs when scanning SCSI/IDE bus for devices on some systems. But that occurs on a few systems, and had nothing to do with SP2 as it occured with a cusotmer who did not have SP2. And we are looking into that.

And if your description is accurate, then I can say with 100% certainity that it's not our software writing to the disc. That does not mean our software is not causing a conflict with something on your system, but it's not writing anything to a blank disc wtihout some promting from you directly. It just can't be done.

If others are running into your EXACT symptoms, I would very much like to here it. As we would prefer to resolve issues ASAP.

As for verifying who I am, you can ask the moderators of this forum, or you can send me an Email at techsupport4@nero.com, your choice. :)

I'll keep an eye out for others who may report a similar issue as you on this forum and others I visit, but as of today, I have not seen this exact issue reported by anyone but you.

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

10. jsjpov

jsjpov Member

Please don't take me the wrong way...I'm not at all upset with this problem...As you know I have worked around it.All I know is there IS some sort of problem and I won't be installing SP2 on my second system.If I am able to be of any assistance in the future though,please don't hesitate to contact me...and thanks for the quick response...

11. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Jsjpov,

No problem. I did not mean it to sound as if I were upset. :)

I just wished to make clear that we always want to resolve Nero issues, regardless if the customer has found a work around. As the work around for you may not be acceptable for another user.

I'll keep at it from my end. Hopefully something will come up to help me address the issue so others do not run into it. :)

Regards

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

12. acgt

acgt Member

Hi, I think I have the same problem, only after I updated from 6.3.0.3 (i think) to 6.3.1.25. I don't think I've installed any new programs when I updated Nero. As soon as I updated it, when I open Nero Startsmart or Nerovision Express, my DVD drive would open and close several times before the program started. If there was media inside the drive when opening Nerovision, it would attempt to read (or maybe even write on) it and would thus it take much longer for the program to open. The only other 2 programs I have that use the DVD drive are Alcohol 120 and PowerDVD.