1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving up the ranks

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by kcc76, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Senior member requires thousands of quality posts then they are hand picked by the mods and admins - there's no automatically making senior.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

More importantly, the respect comes from the quality posts and not the title. I've been here longer than most of the active posters, and even though you don't see the word Senior by my name I don't feel slighted. I get the respect I've earned just like everybody else - no more and no less.

And don't fool yourself. One of the most important factors for good posts is knowing where your knowledge ends. We're all newbies to something that's covered on the forums here. The difference is whether you already know everything or you're ready to learn.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  3. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

just watch this space and yes i feel better now ill stop bitching

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Oh god I wish people like you were more common on AD ... lots of people come running around bitching and whining for answers and dont do anything to help themselves or even to let other people help them! (you know it... you've seen it ... people ask questions about such and such but give no semblance of any background information)

Not so sure its thousands usually we notice after 600-700 posts ... you were a wierd case cuz ... I dont actually know :p

Goddamn that was well said! :)

Yay :p

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I sure would vote for vurbal to become a Senior Member. His replys are always informative and well thought out. I have learned a lot from him. Every time I see a reply from him I hope to see Senior by his name.
    I agree with what he says about knowing where your knowledge ends. If you think you know it all, then how can you learn any more?

6. Nephilim

What Frank said goes for me too :)

7. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I completely aggree for, and am in support of, vurbals senior membership.

8. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As people have stated here previously (and in several other threads before that, we still got the funky little Search thingy up there..), the promotion process is launched manually and ran only like once a month, depending on how often I remember to run the darn script :)

Senior Members and above are promoted manually, but as the sheer volume is nowadays so goddamn large, it tends to be that typically people with helluvalot posts (helluvalot means in practical terms that I launch a weird little admin tool, select "show only people with member status of Member or below and order them by their post count", and click as many users to Seniors as have energy to do ;-). For AfterDawn Addicts, it was actually pretty much created for two people -- Oriphus and Dela -- we didn't have a need for more mods back that time, but it felt silly to have guys with almost 10,000 posted messages to have the same status as guys with 400 or so messages.

For mods, we have promised and planned and god(s)know(s)what to cherry-pick 1-4 users "by the beginning of the summer" in order to promote them to mods. But then again, I'm lazy. I have two kids. I have a "real life job". And again, I'm lazy...

Anyway, the idea is/was/still is to change the moderation system ever so slightly and allocate one or more mods to be "responsible" for each forum room -- as now every mod is just a mod and there aren't any allocations that mod X should be responsible for room Z. This obviously means that the further mod selection is also based on the needs of particular forum room -- if DVDR forum room/s have enough mods, there's no point to promote a user that hangs around 99% of his time in those rooms to become a new mod, when there can be a forum room without an allocated moderator at that time. Obviously some forum rooms don't receive enough posts to justify dedicated mods for them -- yet -- but most of them do nowadays (very, very soon we'll reach the 300,000 msgs milestone in English forums).

Too much text, my head hurts..

9. Praetor

LOL no complaints boss ... wonderful thing as it is :)

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Wow only a 300 000 message cut for the English forum. I thought Dela had posted 300 000 on his own. I will have to work harder with Oriphus to get to that limit for you. :p

I am amazed by all the hard work you put in dRD. My Hat off to you.

11. Praetor

Oh dear .... ;-)

Indeedy

12. vurbal

Thanks fasfrank and Nephilim! Comments like those are a much better reward than being promoted to Senior Member.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the promotion. Being officially acknowledged as a useful part of this community is always welcome. Besides, now I don't have to answer any more questions about why I'm not a Senior Member. ;-)

13. Nephilim

Well deserved , vurbal :)

I've picked up a lot of good stuff from you, my friend.

14. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

congrats Vurbal, always good to have senior we can trust. our seniors rock, case closed.

15. vurbal

Thanks darth! And at the risk of sounding self congratulatory, yes our seniors do rock! I got started here because of a single post by a senior member on IfoEdit and my wife's been trying to pry me away from my DVD burner ever since ;-)

16. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I got started here with a newbie post, if sharpies were ok on discs. I answered that same question six times that same day, and after watching and reading the stuff here for over a month. I just needed to get connected. Now I am almost an addict, but don`t post nearly as much as I used to.

17. Praetor

I remember that thread! LOL

18. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

hehe, no worries man. every senior we have should scream as loud as they can "we f*cking rock!!" because you do, every damn one of you. There's a reason you guys were hand picked, it aint like it just randomly happens. Mods and other seniors throw the names around till an admin or Da Boss notices. plus we also have a promotion request thread in the mod lounge. so yes, be damn proud of what you are. :)