1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question mp3 burning

Discussion in 'General audio discussion' started by Silvio, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Silvio

Silvio Newbie

Hello,im new here and hope im in the right place,so im asking if i can burn mp3s on a cd more than it holds,as my car cd player dont have any pendrive slot but only a cd player.ive surfed many tutorials saying that i can but i was misleaded

my folder contain around 2gb of music,i can make multiple cds but i want to ask if i can and how,

thanks

2. Silvio

Silvio Newbie

any help please?

3. aldan

aldan Active member

you cant put more on a cd than its max capacity,but mp3 files are compressed so you can get a lot more on than if you use cd format.look at the size of your mp3 files and do the math so to speak.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

As aldan says, you can do the math. You want to burn a data CD NOT an audio CD. Audio CDs hold 70 minutes. Data CDs hold as many as will fit in about 600-700 Mb. The exact limit will be determined by the format your burn software uses. I use an old version of Media Monkey to burn audio disks because it has nice features but I bet you can just burn files to the disk using Windows burner or imgburn. The CD play time will range from 4 to maybe 12 hrs depending on the mp3 compression.

I suggest you take time and organize your music into collections you would want to hear together by putting then in separate folders. I used to burn CDs for different moods and some a nice mixs of music.

5. Danielle Nichols

Danielle Nichols Newbie

You can save on Cd by compressing files.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

That is what Aldan and I were suggesting. Most of a wave file is empty space. Some HiFi compressions only get rid of space and audio you can't hear. A wave/CD will faithfully preserve the violins playing while a cannon booms. You can only hear the cannon boom so why preserve the violins which take up most of the space? Other more primitive compressions just remove the high peaks. This does remove hearable audio if you throw away too much. This compression is Constant Bit Rate CBR. A compression of 160 is thought to be 'transparent' to adult ears. Adults, even young adults can't hear frequencies above 16 kHz.

7. aldan

aldan Active member

nobody explains it as eloquently as you do tho mez.you would be,what we described when we were kids,a true "stereo eddy".

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

would replying to threads that have been inactive for months to a year be considered spamming,seems new member appears to be doing just that

9. Mez

Mez Active member

Well, it does give us something to do. I rather enjoy pontificating and who knows maybe I wasn't wasting my breath. Few understand what compression is let alone the pros and cons of various compression methods. Most see just the file extension and assume all mp3s are the same. Now most file extensions have comparable set of compression methods but I trust LAME only because when their VBRs were being debugged thousands of audiophiles helped in the debugging process. You will never get that level of effort again since there is a fully debugged VBR. Apple now seems to be more interested in cleaning up their audio files. That used to be at the bottom of their priorities. Now I believe they have the best fidelity for mid sized compression. Still VBR-0 provides wave quality with a greatly reduced file size.