1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 --- DVD?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JenOU, Aug 17, 2004.

1. JenOU

JenOU Member

Hi everyone,
    Spyware has infused my notebook computer, and I think I'd like to reformat the entire harddrive, and reinstall Windows XP, to have a completely clean system.

Unfortunately, I have 1,500 mp3's on my notebook that I don't want to use. Can someone please tell me how I can back them up / save them, so I can have both a squeaky clean PC, and my music? I figured DVD-R is the best way to go, if it is possible to do so, because it can hold more than a CD-R. Please tell me if this is possible/realistic.

Jen

2. JenOU

JenOU Member

*don't want to lose.

Sorry, typo in 1st post.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes it is possible, assuming you have a dvd burner and suitable burning software.

You can just save them as normal data with a suitable burning program - Nero/Recordnow etc......What burning software have you?

The max you can hold on a dvd would be around 4.36Gb, so you would have to do the maths and probably split them over a couple of dvd's.

What would be the easiest option is to get hold of an external hard drive (USB), then you could wizz those files over with ease.............

I have 1200 MP3's and they total 4.27Gb, I can wizz them onto my external hard drive or onto a dvd.....

4. JenOU

JenOU Member

I do have a DVD burner, and use Nero Express 6. I've solely used it for the purpose of making DVD-Videos, though, and have no experience with backing up DVDs.

You write, "You can just save them as normal data with a suitable burning program."

I do not know how to save them as "normal data." Normally when I burn, I drag and drop files in the box, and click burn. Can someone please guide me through this process of saving mp3's as normal data?

Please help.

Thank you again,
    Jen

5. JenOU

JenOU Member

*and have no experience with backing up mp3's.

Not DVDs, mp3's. What's my problem with typos today?

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

lol. I do not use Nero Express at all, just Recordnow.......so cannot really point you in the correct direction.

However I would assume there is a 'data' selection in there, so if there is all you need to do is select that and select your dvd as the recorder and I would assume it would burn it......

Have a look here, should help you out

http://www.nero.com/en/631945920436317.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  7. JenOU

JenOU Member

Thanks a bunch! I didn't realize mp3s could still work if burned in the data mode. I appreciate the advice & link.

I'll go ahead and burn them in data mode & let you know how it goes.

Jen :eek:)

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

No worries.......

Just make sure you test it BEFORE wiping them off your hard drive....................it is so easy to assume that once you have burned the data, that it will work/transfer without testing it first........

What I would do is burn some, then copy and paste them from the dvd - back to the hard drive, and play them............just to test out the process......

Have fun...........