1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 on CD vs DVD

Discussion in 'Audio' started by RXV2300, May 24, 2007.

1. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

I have 2 simple questions concerning MP3 audio files.

A) On average how many MP3 songs can be put on CD vs DVD

B) I have just made few MP3 but burned it onto DVD versus CD since I can put more tracks on them however it will not play in my car's mp3 player. Is it becuase car mp3 can only play cd mp3 & not dvd mp3 or is it something I've done incorrectly?

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The number of songs/minutes depends on the compression rates used as well as the length of the songs. At 128kbps for MP3 (the largest compression for acceptable quality) one can fit about 770 minutes on a CD-R and 44,000 minutes on a DVD. At 192kbps (less compression for better quality and a decent compromise for compression/quality) the numbers fall to 510 minutes on a CD-R and 29,600 or so minutes on a DVD.

Car players generally use infrared lasers for CD/CD-R playback. A DVD-/+R/RW/-RAM needs a ruby red laser with a shorter wavelength for its pits to be read. You will have to stick with CD-Rs for your car player unless it actually offers DVD video playback.