1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Players . MP3 to WMA file format

Discussion in 'Audio' started by grabber, Dec 30, 2004.

1. grabber

grabber Member

I'm a novice at file formats & have what may be a simple question, but appreciate any experienced posters' assistance.

I bought my daughters 128 mg iriver MP3 players for Xmas. Salesperson said they could hold up to 60 songs and play up to 4 hours.

Downloaded about 26 songs (at av 4 -5 mgs from my music library on my computer) and it filled up the player.

Called the salesperson back and he said that I would need to convert my MP3 files to WMA files to get the additional space for the songs.

I understand that MP3 files are already compressed and therefore assume that WMA files are even smaller.

What is the simplest way to convert my music files on my hardrive to WMA? I use WIN/MX as my file sharing program to download songs from the net but from what I can see, about 99.9% of the files are downloaded as MP3.

Or is the answer to simply buy a larger capacity MP3 player?

It seems however that my daughters have friends with similiar 128 mg MP3 platers and are getting many more songs on their players.

2. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

For my MP3 player 256MB (not an iriver) I use dbPoweramp Music Converter to convert from MP3 to WMA and i have the birate size set to 48 kbps, 44kHz, stereo(A/V) CBR and music sounds fine. Just do a search for dbPoweramp Music Converter and download it. You should be getting more than just a few songs on the MP3 player you have.

3. grabber

grabber Member

Thanks!

Does this program convert the files "on your hardrive "and then you transfer to your MP3 player?

Typically how many songs are you getting on the 256 mg player?

Grabberlime

4. camstuf

camstuf Guest

try this:
    http://www.mightsoft.com/mp3_to_all_converter/mp3_to_all_converter.htm
    select open job dialog. the rest is easy.
    there may be a way for your downloads to come to you as wma, check the control panel/ options in your download source.
    I aslo have an IRiver and love it. (20gb)
    After I put each track in selectred folders in my music folder, I simply drag from my music folder on my pc to the IRiver.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2004
  5. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

My MP3 player holds about 150 songs with the birate level set at 48 kbps on WMA format. I listen to it at work for a 9 hr day and not have to listen to a song over again.

dbPowerAmp converter will convert the songs on your hd then you can load them into your mp3 player. You can set the birate level to what you want.

Does the player you have play WMA format as well as MP3?

6. grabber

grabber Member

Yes, it plays WMA.

Everything seems to be working after I downloaded the dbpoweramp program. Looks like at the settings recommended my daughter will get about 100 songs on her 128mg iriver. Seems to compress 5 mgs down to just over 1Mg in most cases.

Lots more questions but you've helped me out here. Thanks.

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

reencoding like this is evil.

my ears starts to ache when listens to, badly compressed audio. my threshold is 112 kbps on mp3.

anyway dbpoweramp.

if the tracks are rip from your cds, and then encode to wma, thats a different matter.

8. grabber

grabber Member

What I have done is downloaded the songs from the net (MP3) and then converted to WMA to place on my MP3 player to allow greater # of songs. It works and the quality on the MP3 player seems fine.

However I do note that when I wish to play the songs from my music folder on my computer, the quality of the MP3 seems to have degraded(presumably due to the conversion).

As discussed, on my hard drive, I now have my original down loaded MP3 files & the converted WMA files (I did not select the option to delete the MP3 files after the WMA conversion.

Three things:

Is there any way around the degrade factor of the existing MP3 file upon conversion to WMA?

I assume if I converted all my WMA files back to MP3, the quality would be further degraded?

I assume that if I deleted the MP3 files off my computer, that if I burned CD's using the WMA files format, that I could only play on my computer, not a CD player (unless it accepted WMA)?

Thanks

9. iluvsp

iluvsp Member

i've just bought an mp3 player from ebay, (it hasnt come yet) and its got a 128MG, how many songs should it hold?

10. grabber

grabber Member

Depending upon how you set the converter settings, you should likely get between 80 - 100 in WMA format after you convert from MP3 to WMA.

If you don't convert, ie: just download in MP3 format, likely about 25 - 30 (assuming approx 5000 per file size)

Grabberlime

11. iluvsp

iluvsp Member

okay, thanks. how do i convert them?? and do i have to download special mp3 songs?? if so where do i find them

12. grabber

grabber Member

At the top of this thread you'll see my original email, which is basically the same as your query. the first response from Uponthis gives you the software. I downloaded it & used his settings. It worked just fine for me. Hope this helps.