1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 quality from certain drives

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jeff0628, May 3, 2004.

1. jeff0628

jeff0628 Guest

Hello all. I have a quick question. Does different cdrom or dvd rom drives have any affect on quality of rips.

Like my workstation I have a sumsung 16x dvd rom drive and a plextor px708a dvd burner

My server has a MSI 4x dvd +/- burner (which is where all my MP3's are)

My laptop has a toshiba dvd rom / cdrw combo drive

Anyway I use dbpoweramp with the lame codec at 192k cbr to rip with on all my computers so does it matter which computer or drive I use for mp3 quality? I have noticed a speed difference within different drives, even on my machine my plextor rips faster than the samsung... The reason for my question is sometimes I might be on different computers when I rip MP3's and then upload to the server.

Just for clarity

My workstation is an AMD 3200+, 1GB PC3500 memory, 7200 rpm ATA133 Maxtor drives

My server is a P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB ECC PC2100 memory, 7200 rpm ATA100 Hitachi drives

My laptop is an AMD 2400+, 256MB PC2100 memory, 4200rpm 20G drive

any thoughts....

2. Dave58

Dave58 Member

I see your quick question didn't get a quick response ; )

Unfortunatly,I don't have an answer to your question. But I was considering the sound card as I read your question. I would think you should mate your best sound card to your best CD reader to improve your MP3 files. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but does't the audio stream from the CD need to be processed through the sound card to make an analog output, and then the MP3 application samples that analog stream to create the MP3 file?

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

The Plextor is by far the best burner in your setups. I'd try and use this for the ripping & the burning.
    Maybe transfer the MP3 to this system, and burn with this drive.
    It is what I would do for preference.

I am totally unfamiliar with Samsung drives, as I use Pioneer DVR 107/106 & 104 drives.
    The only Plextor drives I have are SCSI CD-ROM, and they are awesomely good.

4. jeff0628

jeff0628 Guest

thanks for the replies. i think i'll use my workstation that has the plextor drive in it. since it is the best drive in my setup. this workstation also has a sound blaster audigy pro zs. the other workstations have onboard soundcards.

thanks for the replies.