1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mp3 static, distortion and other interference

Discussion in 'Audio' started by tp1977, Mar 17, 2005.

1. tp1977

tp1977 Member

Hi all - first time post. Have searched the site, but wasn't getting results matching my problem.

I listen to mp3s mainly through headphones on my portable device and on my computer. Whether these are mp3s i have ripped from my CDs or acquired from the interweb, I notice a certain amount of interference on some tracks. Quite often these will just be very minor "popping" sounds, but when listening through headphones they become very noticeable.

Is there a method for correcting mp3 tracks to get rid of interference? I can't think of anything that wouldn't involve completely breaking down the audio track and playing with different levels to at least make them less noticeable.

I use XP, winamp, etc. but these problems are embedded in the files. Anyone got a cure?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You can always use a Sound Editor such as Audacity !! It has under EFFECTS ~~ a series of filters you can use to remove or attenuate the Hiss , Pops and crackles you may have.

it's available here :-

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

? and it is FREE ~~

Smiles !

3. tp1977

tp1977 Member

That's exactly what I'm looking for - thanks so much. Will give it a spin and post back on here if it works out.

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

There are better Sound Editors available on the web -- but they cost $ -- although most have a 30 days evaluation period !

Goldwave has a good Pop/Click remover filter under EFFECTS --> Filter

It's available here :- http://www.goldwave.com/

And the best of the Best are quite costly ~~smiles they are Professionnal Sound Editors such as Steinberg Wavelab and SoundForge 7 -- that last one is what I use with a whole pile of accessories I have bought over the years !

‡?‡ Good Luck !

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005