1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mp3 to wma

Discussion in 'Audio' started by punx777, Mar 17, 2005.

1. punx777

punx777 Regular member

hey, i backed up all the contents of my mp3/wma player to a dvd, i want to convert the music, but all the music is arranged by artist... here let me explain, there is a huge folder named MUSIC... inside that folder there is, ACDC,aerosmith,.38 special, ect.... inside one of those folders is 1 or more folders based on what cds i have of the artist....

some of the files are mp3, some wma.. is there software which i could convert the MUSIC folder so all the contained songs are wmas? and being over 1500 songs, i would like software that could retain the names...

thanks and sorry

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You can get JetAudio for FREE here :- http://www.jetaudio.com/products/jetaudio/

It has an excellent converter where you can load each folder and convert to wma at the bitrate of your choice ! Then sit back while it does it without changing the names !

Good Luck !

3. punx777

punx777 Regular member

sweet thanks. say, is 64k wma actually like 128 mp3? or is it just half the size of a 64k mp3, sometimes i get confused (retarded smile face)

another thing, how low should i go? whats the lowest i should choose without losing any quality in sound. note i will be playing it in a car stereo(via fm transmitter or those casettes) how low can i go without distorting??

4. nomad311

nomad311 Member

whoa i thought jetAudio was jus another player ...this is great i been usin ace high all this time!!!

u rox jean

err on the whole quality thing i member readin somewhere that 256 is cd for mp3s and 128 is around radio ...i keep mine between those but i dun use wma

Notice: my brain is on drugs so any facts from me should not be used in life threatening situations

haha im bored

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

and your reason for converting it to wma, cause you want it all to be in wma is not good reason enough to be converting it.
    ecspecially music

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

shiroh you forgot to tell punx777 that converting from lossy to lossy will always resault in crap (unless its MPC :)). Also 64K isn't enough. Yes they do say that 64K WMA is indestingishable from 128K Mp3 but I don't think so.

Ced

7. punx777

punx777 Regular member

whats wrong with wma? i thought using wma was half the size of an mp3 with the same quality?

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

shiroh just despises Micro$oft is all. The WMA format is fine. I just don't think its as good as Micro$oft claims it is. It does out preform Mp3 at low-bitrates but I don't think that WMA at 64K is the same as Mp3 at 128K. At least not LAME Mp3 at 128K. Maybe blade Mp3 is crappy enough to be beteen by half.

Anyway, my point was that no matter what lossy format your using, quality will always suffer if you convert from lossy to another lossy format. Mp3 to Wma, Ogg to Mp3, WMA to Ogg, and vise-versa. You simply must convert from the source; CD, DVD, ect. in order to maintain a resonable sound quality.

Ced