1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3PRO and LAME

Discussion in 'Audio' started by saurabh, Jul 23, 2005.

1. markdvd

markdvd Member

I decided on the Way by Amorphis.

Used WAV, mp3 vbr HQ, mp3pro VBR HQ, mp4 vbr Med HQ, Ogg VBR HQ.

Needless to say Wav was the best with a filesize of 47,475KB.

Next best Ogg with a filesize of 15,632KB (3:1 but amazing!)

Next was mp3pro from nero or m/match but nero slightly smaller filesizse of 4,499kb to 4,575kb.

Next was mp4 (should have been better but not quite) at 6,879Kb.

Last was mp3vbr at 4,339Kb.

However, none of them were bad in any sense of the word!

I need to try more songs with quieter passages to give a more proven result as mp4 should be 3rd at that quality!

Oh yes and all were 44KHz frequency.

2. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

markdvd encode to MPC to see what the results are

3. markdvd

markdvd Member

Yeh i have tried mpc on the same file.

It is good, but i cannot say it is magical!

Maybe my Asus mobos onboard sound is not the best but my speakers are ok. It gave a filesize ove 8mb.

But as i said earlier, I need to try more sources so do not take my opinion as sacred for now.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Over 8 MB? You must have done it at Max right? With MPC you don't need to do it at Max Bitrate. I like MPC because at its "Standard" bitrate it sounds as good as or better than the rest at higher bitrates. At standard bitrate with MPC I got a file size of 5.90 MB. Did you do a size comparison with Mp3Pro at Max Bit-rate. How large was the file?

Also something I've come across leads me to believe there are two flavors of Mp3Pro. One that incorporates MPEG-1 Part 3 Layer 3 audio with SBR for CBR encoding and one that incorporates MPEG-2 Layer 3 audio with SBR for VBR encoding. I'm not sure though. I have to do more research on that. I do know that MPC started with MP2 (MPEG-1 Part 3 Layer 2) then was redone into what it is today.

--LATER--

I also would like to point out that mp3Pro only samples at 22.05 KHz (which is half of what a CD quality track is sampled at). Technically, something sampled at 22.05 KHz would never sound as good as something sampled at 44.1 KHz. But that can be subjective because most people wouldn't notice the difference, without a side by side comparrison, if the file was encoded at a high bitrate and the right code tweaks wear applied. Also it appears mp3Pro encodes using a VBR encoding scheme by default.

So, the equivalent of mp3Pro at 64K is Mp3 at 128K VBR (not CBR) and 22.05KHz. Which it is by my ears. mp3Pro completelly destroys Mp3 at 64K VBR (But everyone already knew that).

I love to rant,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2005