1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ps2hunter, Jun 10, 2005.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea, I ran into the laser vinyl readers back when I started tranfering my moms old LPs to CD. I wonder how they sound. I mean if a laser is reading the groves does that mean that the proccess is relying on ADCs? Wouldn't that sound worse (if only slightly) than the analog version?

The only thing I could think of is they are using some type of hardware that can read the grooves like a photo (looking for the absence of light) and perfectly mimic their movments in real time. I'll do some research into how this stuff works for myself (and share what I find off course).

---LATER---

This stuff is crazy. This model cost $15,000!

How it works:
    http://www.elpj.com/about/how.html

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2005
  2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah I'm honestly not sure what to think. Its adding a digital spin to vinyl I guess. It uses five lasers to read. As neat as it seems, like you said $15000 is just a TAD steep.

I think this is the same site as the one you posted Ced, but this is address in the magazine I saw.

http://audioturntable.com/

Hopefully some day they will come down in price though. But who knows, vinyl may be all but extinct by that time. I'm not really sure about the A/D convertion, it obviously must have some type of signal converters and processors in it. I really didn't look into it that much, but I'll review the website more when I get a chance. The one distinct advantage obviously is that the lasers don't touch the record, thus preserving it and extenting the life of vinyl exponentially.

typo

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  3. TahoeGuy

TahoeGuy Member

I've got to tell you, EAC may be a really nice program, but it is really proving to be a pain in the a$$, trying to get it set up!

I downloaded EAC and it didn't ask me where to put it, but instead put it on my desktop when i'd have prefered to have it in C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\ as the info in "The Quintessential Guide to Creating High Quality MP3s by Chris Myden" says it should be created.
    Then I downloaded LAME which, again, didn't give me a chance to specify the directory it was placed in, but instead, put it on my desktop.
    I then ran EAC which opened a "LAME" configuration window, but neither the search feature (which finds no LAME exe file) or the browse feature (which won't find it either) lets me get past this window!! But if I do a search for "LAME" i can find lame.exe with no problems!

What am I doing wrong here?? or is EAC just primarily for people with alot of computer smarts? It's certainly not touted as such!

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

okay EAC is really not that hard to use. yes it is a little more complicated than other rippers, but that is because it has many more features. those problems you mentioned are very small and aren't really problems, more like annoyances.

I don't know why the guide says it will install under programs directory, no version of EAC I've ever used does. Is it really that big of a deal? Just make a folder called EAC under program files, and unzip there. Same with the LAME dll. don't put it on your desktop, unzip/install it in the same folder EAC is in, that way everything is in the same place. So now when you go to find lame in the external compression tab, just type in C:\Program Files\EAC\lame.exe. Thats not that much stuff to type that you have to paste the location.

5. TahoeGuy

TahoeGuy Member

Thanks djscoop! I'll give it a go! :)