1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question MP4 to DVD - Poor Quality?

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by jazz2006, May 8, 2015.

1. jazz2006

jazz2006 Member

I am trying to convert two mp4 video files to use on my TV DVD player, the mp4 sizes are 900Mb and 500Mb. I have tried using two different programs for the conversion, convertxtodvd and aimersoft dvd converter using the high quality option. The files were converted to VOB files, but the video quality is nowhere near the quality of the original mp4 files.

Perhaps I am asking the impossible? is there a way that VOB files can have the same quality as the original mp4 files? or perhaps there is a better software for this conversion?

2. attar

attar Senior member

ConvertX is a decent pogram and should give a decent conversion if the source is good.
    You might want to try AVStoDVD, it's freeware and you can change the automatic settings from one to two pass and choose between ffmpeg and HCenc encoders (Title > Edit Title > Video then uncheck Auto Setup).

To save time you might want to have it process a short clip to compare results.
    Open the source mp4 video in AviDemux and set the sliders to your choice.
    On the left side menu, set Video Copy, Audio Copy and for 'Output format' choose either MP4V2 or MP4

3. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

I guess the conversion bitrate was sharply reduced. My suggestion is to check your original video bitrate and match it with the value in converter. If you have a copy of Free Video DVD Converter Ultimate, just hit "Settings" button and set the bitrate to around 1500~2500 kbps.

4. jazz2006

jazz2006 Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    I think that the problem is something to do with the resolution of the original MP4 files which is 1920x1080, when I try to convert to a TV DVD VOB file the option is limited to 720x576.
    There was an option to create a VOB file to 1920x1080 with another conversion program, but I ended up with only one VOB video file with no IFO or BUP files like the normal DVD file structure, so I am still trying to get a HD file to play on a TV DVD disk.
    Any suggestions please?

5. attar

attar Senior member

Generally, DVD is 720x480 or 720x576 (Half D1, is half the horizontal resolution which is also legal) anything elese isn't DVD and no authoring program that I've used would generate VOB files 1920x1080.
    Bitrates are between 2000kb/s to 8500 kb/s for the likes of AVStoDVD.
    Supposedly anything higher causes problems for standalone players.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. jazz2006

jazz2006 Member

The VOB file that was created was 1920x1080 (see pic) and the quality is excellent. I just cannot work out why the VOB file created was just a single file with no IFO file?[​IMG]

7. attar

attar Senior member