1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPC to MP3

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Devils00, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Devils00

Devils00 Member

Ive tried a few different applications but i cant get them to work. What are the best to convert mpc files to mp3 format?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life ends so fast so take your chance and make it last - Chuck Schuldiner
    http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=8068553[/small]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  2. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

3. Devils00

Devils00 Member

Ok thanks, ill give that a try

4. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

Tell me how it works out.

5. nicnic

nicnic Member

I'm converting MPC to MP3 using dbpowerAMP. It works fine, but I'd appreciate some advice on sampling/encoding rates:

I have read that WMA is relatively efficient at compressing, so if you were converting a 128kb/s WMA to MP3, you should choose an encoding rate of [bold]2x[/bold] the original (i.e. 256kb/s) for the MP3 to get the optimum preservation of quality. (And by my experiments, this seems to hold up).

So, my question about MPC is, [bold]"what is the equivalent FACTOR for MPC to MP3"?[/bold] While I'm here, also for OGG to MP3?

Just to make things more complicated, dbpoweramp can't *see* the sample rate of the MPC, so I've only got filesize as a guide, so I guess that makes my question [bold]"if my MPC is 10KB, what filesize should I make my MP3 to preserve as much sound quality as possible?"[/bold]. (I'd still be interested to hear about the FACTORS for MPC->MP3 and OGG->MP3, tho')

tia :)

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It doesn't really work like that. No audio format is on the same scale as another. There is only speculation. Real world results say that VBR (variable bit-rate) schemes produce the best quality in any case. Your biggest problem is that you are converting between two lossy formats. This will cause problems (sound wise). I recommend converting your source file to Wave or any of the lossless formats first then convert that file to whatever you need.

When using VBR remmeber not to limit the maximum bit rate. Limiting the bit rate is bad. The only draw back to VBR is that some Mp3 players don't support the format.

Using Constant Bit-Rate (CBR) (for conversions to):

Mp3

192 kbps (stereo)

MPC
    is built on the MPEG Layer 2 VBR scheme

OGG

192 kbps (stereo), quality 6

WMA

96 kbps (stereo)

----------------------------------------------------

Using VBR (for conversions to):

Mp3

256 kbps

MPC

Standard (default) quality is good enough

WMA

quality 50, 44.1 khz

-----------------------------------------------------

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2004
  7. nicnic

nicnic Member

OK, so you're saying my best bet (as I'm going to MP3)is:

1) do MPC/OGG to WAV
    then
    2a) if my player supports VBR, do WAV to VBR, Average 192k, unlimited peak
    2b) if it doesn't, do WAV to CBR 256k

nescaff?

cheers ;)

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes! I like to use lossless audio formats instead of Wave since neither suffer from quality-loss yet lossless audio formats compress the sound file a little.

The CBR can be set as low as 192 kbps. The VBR average should be 256 kbps (most of the time).

My favorite lossless format is Monkeys Audio but Flac is used in more applications. There both open-source.

Why are you converting MPC to Mp3? MPC and Ogg are so much better than Mp3 :)
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2004
  9. nicnic

nicnic Member

he heee - to gettem on a mobile player...don't worry I'll keep the originals for some day in the future when we all use lossless as the norm and your kids ask you 'daddy, had they invented running water back in the days of "MP3"' ? ;)

Thanks for the pointers :)