1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg 2 Help Please

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by BryanT, Jan 3, 2005.

1. BryanT

BryanT Member

Fellas, I have looked all over this website trying to find info on how to do this but i end up confusing myself before its all said and done. Heres my problem I am trying to burn An Mpeg 2 NTSC video that i had DL'ed. I would like to put it onto a dvd+r disc. However i have tried to burn as is, without any conversions and have would up with a bunch of dvd+r coasters. what is the best way to convert this mpeg2 that is saved on my hard drive into a suitable format, i would like to go the route that keeps the best quality picture and sound. i have the following programs avaliable, easy cd creator 6, nero burning rom, dvd decryptor, vcdgear, and RecordNow, any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance! P.s. i am also trying to figure out how to use virtual dub, if this program will help. thanks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Why not a SVCD? If you want to make a DVD-R you need to make a M2V video with TMPGenc and to author the DVD, adding the sound authoring it with IFOedit, read http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm and treat the mpeg-2 like an AVI (but you won't need any codec!).
    Making a SVCD (you can also try to increase its compatibility, if your DVD player don't read it, with Nero, rather using the plain VCDGear) is much faster,and if the video has not a great quality (>> 480x480) the resolution won't be greater.
    If you're strongly determined to make a DVD, read the guide. But the result will not be achieved so fast. I would suggest to make Nero SVCD (I hate making DVD-Rs, except for DVD-DVD backup purposes).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  3. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

As aldaco12 said why do you want to put it onto a DVD?, even with rencoding it will not make the picture quality any better.

But if you must put it onto a DVD i use a program called DVD Lab that allows you to put SVCD & VCD onto a DVD with rencoding, but it is a commercial program so will cost you money.

There are some free programs that can change the header file so that a DVD player thinks the files on the disc are DVD compliant. (But i had little results using these).

It will be easier and quicker to just stick them onto a CD.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  4. BryanT

BryanT Member

the only reason i wanted to use a dvd is because the file was too long to fit onto a cd. if you guys think its a better idea to use a cd i will go ahead and give it a try. thanks a lot!

5. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

If it is to big for one CD why not just cut it and put it onto 2 CDS's ?

6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

as maven was saying, you'll have to use dvdlab to put your mpeg2(i imagine its already a svcd file) video on a dvd. altho dvdlab may seem a bit expensive, im sure you'll be able to get a full working copy of it somewhere seeing as you seem to know how to download high quality mpeg2 video from the net ;)....and thats all im going to say about that.

just follow the guide below and you shouldnt have any major dramas, ive used the method described in the guide below many many times and as yet i havent come across a dvd-player that wasnt able to playback the non-standard dvds that i made with dvdlab...cept the players that cant handle dvd-+r discs that is :p.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/svcd_to_dvdr_from_img.cfm

goodluck