1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg-2 video problem

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by cakefoo, Apr 29, 2004.

1. cakefoo

cakefoo Member

I recorded an hour long video at 10mbits/s in winfast pvr (leadtek's tv2000xp deluxe software) and the only way i can watch it is by playing it from the start, all the way through. If I click the timeline to go fast forward,WMP freezes for about 15 seconds, then plays the vide at about 1 frame per second, with sound. I have Nimo 50 build 8 version of codecs.

2. cakefoo

cakefoo Member

ok, i deleted nimo codec pack and now i don't know what the hell i'm doing.
    i tried to play it- it won't play at all now- i didn't have wmp9 yet since i reformatted my harddrive, got it, no differnt... i can encode/record mpeg 2, but can't play it. such bull... uh, ok... i tried nimo again, reinstalling it- and well, ok, there's a major problem, where it says all the codecs can't be installed, abort retry, ignore, i click ignore, and there's just tons of those errors, so i screwed that... in tha butt... errrrrrrrrrr... or not... what am i doing here? I know- i could reformat and reinstall winxp! again! nah... mpeg 2... come on... such a basic codec, and I don't want to have to install nimo again.. although i'd like it for the mp3 codecs- but why the hell am i getting all these errors when installing the codec? I don't have wmp open...

3. cakefoo

cakefoo Member

i downloaded elecard- but whenever i watch a video, there's a watermark on the top right of the screen, and the video quality looks threaded or something... i tried to uninstall the whole elecard thing, and it just hangs... i deleted the installation directory, but the codec is still floating around, and also, every time i play a vieo, theres an icon on the system try for elecard audio managing , and it doesn't go away until i hover over it- in other words, there can be multiple instances of that icon for every video i open- so how do i get rid of it, and is there a way to get back the mpeg 2 codec i had originally with win xp besides reinstalling xp?

4. cakefoo

cakefoo Member

oh yeah, another problem with elecard, the major prob, is that it only plays the first 32 minutes of my hour long mpg...

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

What're you doing cakefoo... are you in Codec Hell?
    If that codec is gone but the watermark remains, it is still registered.
    MPEG2 is just regular DVD (and SVCD) standard, but if I understand your prob is trying to record using it?
    You better first sort this out and THEN reinstall if req'd!
    Your WinXP seems a lot nastier than my good ol' Win2K Pro - I understand many things won't work unless the 'restore system state' disabled?
    I record only MPEG4 so I guess not much help... Good luck,
    Regards

6. cakefoo

cakefoo Member

i was trying to watch mpg2... i could record, and at first i could watch, but if i tried to click further along in the video in wmp at least, it would hesitate about 30 seconds, then play at a low framerate- i just saw this guy call in on tech tv- he's obsessive about formatting his harddrive- and i feel the same way- so with xp reinstalled and everything, it runs just the way it used to, the last time i reformatted a few days ago- i reformat when there's a problem with something that affects my daily routine.

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes of course, but the key is preventing problems.
    One cannot be formatting one's boot partition on a regular basis - once/year is sufficient!
    Many of my clients have not reinstalled OS since 1999 or whatever, you get my meaning, they will benefit greatly.
    If you employ Windows Update, Antivirus, Complete Registry Cleaner or equiv, SpyBot Search & Destroy, and careful housekeeping practices, you need not encounter a re-format problem every few days (hopefully!)
    An MPEG4 AVI exhibiting your playback problem would be poorly interleaved, dunno if any help...

8. cakefoo

cakefoo Member

it's an mpeg 2... i didn't of any other way of getting the mpg 2 codec than reinstalling windows- mpegs 2, is m fav of the codecs that my pc will handle- p4 2.4-