1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg file too big for single VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by gsolis, Jul 27, 2003.

1. gsolis

gsolis Member

Hi all,
    After working with DivX .avi files for some time now, I've decided to turn some of those to VCD so I can watch it on standalone DVD player.
    I've read that most movies can fit on one VCD and if I want higher quality I could use SVCD but in two CDs. So I made my mpeg file from a 600MB 2hrs divx movie with TMPEnc... and I got 1.4GB mpeg file. Of course when I tried to burn it on the VCD it was to big to fit on the CD.

MY QUESTION: How can I get a smaller mpeg file so it can fit on a single VCD ????

2. oak1

oak1 Member

I really don't think that it will get much smaller than that. I always end up with 2 vcd's converting from a full movie in mpeg 4. From older divx I think that it can get even bigger. I think you can fool around with frame rates but it will sacrifice pic quality. Although there may be a way to do it I don't know of one.

3. Phantom

Phantom Member

I have not run into anything that will allow you to get a divx movie on one CD. I am afraid you will have to use two. Unfortunately, that's just part of what happens when you encode to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.

The files should split up into two muxed movies if you encode a movie through CCE 2.54. Each muxed file will fit on an individual CDR. If you are unfamilure with this you may want to read up on it at the following link...

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/111846.php

Just to add with some XVID files, if the movie is short, you can get the movie on one CD.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]EM7[/small]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2003
  4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

5. Phantom

Phantom Member

Wow Dela,

I will have to take a look more into this kVCD thing. I am assuming this must be something recent that has just come out.

I will have to come back later on this evening and read up on it some more.

6. mac71

mac71 Guest

Dela...I have been doing some reading up on this K(S)VCD templates for TEMPGEnc. Has anyone done any experimenting with these templates?

There are some templates they you can possiblely achive from 120 minutes up to 360 minutes on one CD-R and the quality is suppose to be mush better than the standard VCD format using TEMPGEnc.

I have 2 Xvid.avi files and I am going to attempt to encode them using the KVCD templates for TEMPGEnc, but if I read correctly you are suppose to encode them as KVCD and burn them as SKVCD. Does this sound correct to you?

7. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I tried a couple, the results were alright!