1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg shrinking/compressing for burning

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mattlore, Dec 3, 2004.

1. mattlore

mattlore Member

Perhaps this has been answered before, but I figured I'd ask again since I can't seem to find the correct information...

I have 6 half-hour .avi files of TV shows that I've converted to mpeg (or .mov - I'm not sure) with Divx Doctor II. I'd like to burn them to a DVD so I can watch them on my TV. When I drag the converted files into Toast 6.0, 2 of them take up almost the maximum amount of the available 4.4 gig space to burn. I can't drag more in after that. With iDVD, it seems that I can get 4 loaded before it won't allow me to add any more.

My question is, is there a way to compress these files so I can fit all 6 on one disc? It seems like these files taking up 2 gigs each is a bit excessive, but I'm new to DVD burning. I'm using an iMac G5, in case that makes any difference. I appreciate any and all help.

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

This question has been addressed in many posts. The problem is that the data has to be converted from .mpg .mpeg or .avi to .m2v. When that happens the size of the data gets MUCH larger! It seems like you should be able to fit a 1gb .avi file on a dvd but it would end up being several times larger than that when converted to m2v.

Most avi or VCD type of files are at a lower screen size and higher compression setting to save on data. This is why they can fit that much video on a CD. The video may be 320x200 at X frames/second (on the web anywhere from 8-30 but usually less than 30). When you go to dvd it has to be 640x480 or 720x480 at 29fps.

Get it? When you increase the resolution and the frame rate you get much BIGGER files!

3. mattlore

mattlore Member

Hey, thanks for the response. I TOTALLY enjoy being treated like your retarded stepson!

I shall try to find my answer, which I figured would be a simple "yes" or "no" (how silly of me!), elsewhere.

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Ok here's your one word answer: yes

You can do it. You have to adjust the bitrate of the mpeg2 compression to do it. That can be done via quicktime pro or compressor.