1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg to AVI

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by BroLuc, Feb 18, 2005.

1. BroLuc

BroLuc Guest

Ok guys, expert is needed here to help me. I'm trying to use this EO Video to encode mpeg to avi, and i'm trying to use XviD MPEG-4 Codec, and my questions are... What encoding mode should i use? I really don't understand about the 1 Pass, 2 Pass and all that. I've searched around everywhere on the net, but couldn't find the exact way to configure the compression settings and advanced option. Please don't ask me to use tempgen or or something with that name because i'm not familiar with it and i used EO Video since long time ago, it's just that i re-format my pc and i lost the setting of this codec. So please help. Thanks in advance!

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The settings that you use are 100% upto you. If you care about filesizes then go 2 pass. Otherwise 1 pass, fixed quant.

3. BroLuc

BroLuc Guest

Okay, so what about the advanced option of the codec properties? Should i change anything in it? And when i tried to convert an mpeg o avi, there was an error code -100. I have no idea what to do about it... please help. Thanks in advance!

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Apart from an audio compression problem, if you open a movie with VirtualDub then set Video__Compression, for example, DivX/Xvid, you can 'configure' it. on multipass you have to save the AVI twice (the 1st time it makes the .LOG, the 2nd actually saves the AVI).
    Alas with VirtualDub you have to choose Audio__No Audio (or you'll get a huge AVI) and to add the sound later (extracted from the AVI with VirtualDub, Audio__Direct Stream Copy, then added to the 'mute AVI' with VirtualDubMod , Video__Direct Stream Copy, Stream__Stream list___Add).

Or you can use any movie compressor program you want, which uses Xvid/DivX.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  5. BroLuc

BroLuc Guest

Well.. i'm trying to use Eo Video because i know that using virtual dub mod is kind of tedious. EO Video convert directly... and what i wanted to know is the setting. I tried to use 2 pass - 1 pass, and the file is obviously smaller after conversion, but could not be played! I wonder if there is anything that i should configure in the encoding mode's advanced option. I'm really lost. please, please help!

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Default first pass settind is to throw away the first pass. It isn't supposed to be playable. If you want it to be then untick discard first pass and tick full quality first pass (this will make encoding slower).

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Do you want a small file? Choose 1-pass and set a small bitrate.
    Do you want the highest quality for that bitrate? Set a bitrate and choose multipass, keeping onle the nth pass file you do the 2nd time you run.

IN the DivX codec you can set the [bold]encode performance[/bold] to make a [bold]slow [/bold] compression for minimizing the final size keeping high (according to the bitrate you'e chosen) the quality (opposite to [bold]normal[/bold], which is faster but makes you a larger final size).
    Maybe Xvid too has a similar setting. But I never used it to obtain small files...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  8. shiroh

shiroh Guest

xvid 1.1 beta1 default settings.
    2pass or 1pass fixed quant