1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG to Divx question!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dmagni82, Apr 28, 2004.

1. dmagni82

dmagni82 Member

Hi All,

Just a small quesion..I have this video file
    I used AVICodec and it told me these specs for the file.
    File : 150 MB (148 MB), duration: 0:15:05, type: MPG, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 63 %

Video : 124 MB, 1150 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 352*240 (4:3), MPG1 = MPEG 1 (VCD), Supported

Audio : 24 MB, 224 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x51 = Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2 [0xc0], Supported

Is there anyway to convert this into a format so I can burn it to a DVD or do I have no choice but to burn it as a SVCD?!Let me know. THanks alot.

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

Well, it's actually not a SVCD but a VCD.

Secondly, yes, you can burn it to a DVD. Just use any encoder (e.g. TMPGEnc) to change it to DVD specs. The quality will be crappy, though.

3. daba

daba Guest

Hi dmagni,

You can use a standalone MPEG encoder (such as TMPGEnc) to convert to MPEG-2 and then a DVD authoring tool (such as DVDAuthorGui) to convert to VOB/IFO/BUP. You finally burn the VOB/IFO/BUP files to the DVD.

Or if you have Nero 6, you can use NeroVision Express. Just select "Make new DVD", import your MPEG-1 file, click Next a few times and wait for the disc to be burnt.

In either way, as whassup stated, don't expect great quality...

4. dmagni82

dmagni82 Member

Thanks for all the help guys,
    just one more thing..can i put more than one of these files one one DVD-R?theyre pretty small ..about 15 minutes each.If so, how woudl I go about putting 3 or 5 in one DVD. Thanks!

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi dmagni82
    yes you can put several on one disc by using a authoring program.I use TMPGEnc dvd author,youll find the download and guide at the top of this page.(trial version available)dvd author will tell you how many you can put in,by the little guage at the bottom.
    good luck and welcome to the club
    jim
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  6. daba

daba Guest

Hi dmagni,

Indeed you can put several files on one DVD. With NeroVision Express you just import all of your files and it will burn them all to the one disc.

If you prefer using a standalone MPEG encoder, just encode all of your files and then import the encoded files into an authoring tool to build the DVD. TMPGEnc DVD Author (70 $) is really nice. DVDAuthorGui is free but basic.

Daba

7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi again
    Mpegs dont have to be mpeg 2 to be dvd compliant.
    I use the vcd format, to be able to put 4 or more movies on one disc(great for traveling camping etc.)
    You wont notice the picture quality loss on a small tv or portable all in one dvd player.
    Convert your files using TMPGEnc encoder, but there are several others available,tmpgenc, the one you use for vcd's, is free.
    Nero vision express is the biggest piece of crap out there,i love my nero but the encoder is junk!!Once your done encoding,then you can use the dvd authoring tool of your choice and burn with whatever you have to burn.
    good luck
    jim

8. daba

daba Guest

Hi dmagni,

Jim is perfectly right. 352*240 MPEG1 is DVD-video compliant. But I think the audio must be 48000 Hz. Your file is 44100 Hz, thus you should resample it.

But a question just came into my mind. You won't get any image quality enhancement by burning your MPEG1 file to a DVD, even if you encode it to MPEG2. And most DVD players accept (S)VCD discs. So what's the point of making a DVD with your MPEG1 file ?

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

My point is,as ive stated above you can put more on a dvd using the vcd format(usaully 4 movies)as opposed to mpeg 2 format, which you will only get one movie.
    This isnt a method I would use to make dvd's to watch at home on the big screen, but it does have its places(four movies on one disc-dvd or one movie on two discs or more-cdr)
    Im doing one as we speak in a vcd format using this template... Video-CD NTSC (MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps)and ive done several like this.
    But i say again,this isnt a method i would use for the big screen but the quality is every bit as good as a vcd on two or more cdr's.(and if you have kids,they'll never know the difference)
    jim

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004