1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg to dvd help

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by wc9307, Mar 30, 2005.

1. wc9307

wc9307 Guest

Hi,

I have got an mpeg file which i would like to have on dvd to watch in dvd players etc.

Just wondering how to do this?

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

3. brobear

brobear Guest

MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4? If we're lucky and you're already in MPEG2 (DVD) format, all you need to do is record it. Any DVD recording software will do that. Nero's burning ROM will handle the task. The files need to be in a folder named VIDEO_TS.

The problems start coming up when you deal with encrypted files like those on a factory DVD. There you need to decrypt the files with a program like DVD Decrypter. If the files are larger than 4.37GB then they will need transcoding (shrinking) to fit the 4.7GB (DVD5) discs. DVD Shrink is a good freeware transcoder. DVDCopy3 from InterVideo is a good retail app, there are a number of others; different people have their favorites.

Jim Dandy is right about the VSO DivX to DVD. If you do need conversion, the program is one of the more simple ones for the beginner. NeroVision Express 3 in the Nero suite will work for conversions if you have it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2005
  4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

** Moving to correct forum ** (had to do loads of that today - grrr)

5. tgotti

tgotti Member

The vso is cool , but for me, would allow me to use a dvd -R only a +R

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

You can use any format disc to record/burn to from VSO DivxToDVD [it leaves normal VIDEO_TS folder] , where does that question come from tgotti & could you translate it into better english as your question is barely comprehensable... (no offence) ??

7. tgotti

tgotti Member

Sorry u couldnt understand.
    Basically wat i BEEN tring to do is copy my mpg music video file and burn them to a dvd.
    When I use divX it i can do it , but the videos are all chopped up, my guess is do to the compression or shrinking.
    I went to Best buy, they said try pinnicle Studio 9, so i got that, seemed great, burn one disc looked good, now when i put a disc in and go to create disc it says that the disc is 30% used, but the disc is brand new.
    I was also doing divX , then authoring in shrink and then burning, but again quality was not good.

Is there anthor program beside divXthat u can suggest to take a mpg file and burn it to a dvd-R?
    Please help/ Thanks!

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

wc9307, avoid all thid babbling. Load that file with VCDGear, if it's a mpeg-1 it will ask you to create a VCD, otherwise it will create a SVCD (probably you'll have to split the file, if it's a long movie, with TMPGenc___MPEG Tools___Merge & Cut [use the 'Plus' version for mpeg-2 files, please], first).
    Avoid a lame conversion mpeg --> DVD movie, unless you have a 4 GB input file!!! Sticking to (S)VCD is more than enough (I hope that mpeg's "system" matches with yours (PAL/NTSC) or you'll need to re-encode it)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

VCDs and SVCDs play on some of the newer DVD players, but not all. The original request was for a conversion to DVD.

10. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, but I refuse to answer to such a question. It would be like making a 300 MB dolby surround AC3 sound from a 100 MB MP2 file... have you ever heard the old saying 'garbage in = garbage out' ?
    My 'work' is to strongly advise against dong such stuff.
    After that, everyone is free to becave like he wants, but he won't get from me any advice about how doing that.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  11. tgotti

tgotti Member

Thanks for everyones help. I been referring a ton of ppl to this board.

My only issue not is the quality of the divX out put, im tring to find anthor program, good things take time i guess.
    Thanks again .