1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg to DVD+R .....Help Required!!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by twister9, Jun 22, 2003.

1. twister9

twister9 Member

HI Everyone
    I Wondered with all your Expert Knowledge you could maybe help me out here.
    I Have flawlessly backed up over 60 DVD to Dvd`s but I now have a new an interesting problem.
    I have 10 or so Good quality MPEG movies on Disk and Hard Drive that I have D/L from the internet, the largest of which is a 2GB Mpeg Movie , I want to put them on DVD+R , not VCD or SVCD but DVD+R.
    I Have looked around for a guide that explains how to do this but nearly all of them are DIVx to DVD or AVI to DVD and so on, can anyone tell me how exactly I can convert these files correctly to DVD+R And which readily available Programs I should use
    Also.....I Realise that saying Mpeg can mean a whole bunch of MPEG types , so is there a program out there that can Identify which ones I have to start with
    I would Appreciate Any solutions
    Thx In advance
    Twister9

2. g1neo

g1neo Guest

A good program i use to see what type of mpeg file it is, is called AVIcodec

3. twister9

twister9 Member

Thanks G1neo for the Info on the AviCodec Program ,I`ll Download it and give it a go
    THX
    By The way Interesting name you have ...........Matrix Orientainted maybe ?

4. HeeHawBoz

HeeHawBoz Member

Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 will make DVD files out of your MPGs.
    Don't worry if it comes up with a warning about not accepting AC3 sound. Your finished VOBs will still have sound in them.

5. g1neo

g1neo Guest

Yeh, you guessed it:)

6. twister9

twister9 Member

Thanks HeeHawBoz
    For the tip on the ulead program , I guess thatt this will sort out the region free and VTS sectors or will I have to still use IFOedit ?

7. HeeHawBoz

HeeHawBoz Member

You won't need IFO edit. Ulead will make a working DVD set, with menus, out of your MPGs.
    With a few clicks you can add chapters wherever you want and add your own artwork to the menus.

I'm not sure, but I really don't think regions come into it at all when you are using MPGs. I'm pretty sure your DVD will be region free, but that is not something I even thought about when I was using it.

8. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I used TMPGenc DVD author a couple of times.
    Works great, good results.
    You can create a menu and chapters.

Try it out sometimes...

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

WizKid, TMPGEnc takes around 10-14 hours for me - this normal? Also, i have a moive split on two discs that comes to 3hours. It says that the single disk is 243mins? That cant be right?

Cheers
    Chris_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Im gonna find you, and im coming to get YOU!

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2003
  10. twister9

twister9 Member

Thanks Everyone for your input, I have a better understanding as to what to use and where to start
    I can see that posting on here was a good idea
    By the way HeeHawBoz you`re right Region free doesn`t come into it when mpegs are concerned , i`ve just got too used to backing up DVD`s I guess with region encoding on them
    Actually HeeHawBoz May I ask another question of you , if an Mpeg Movie comes with a codec attached does this have to be removed before the mpeg can be Encoded into DVD ?
    Sorry to ask so many questions .........

11. ABMone

ABMone Guest

TMPGEnc DVD Author only takes about 45 minutes to author depending on the size of course

10 hours is rediculous.

12. HeeHawBoz

HeeHawBoz Member

Sorry Twister9, but we've reached the limit of my expertise. Something usually has to go wrong before I bother finding out how things work and with Ulead I just pointed it at the mpgs and it imported them no problem.
    I've always thought of a codec as being a behind-the-scenes translator so that Media Player can actually play your video, rather than something attached to the mpg. For what it's worth, my opinion is that if your mpgs play normally when you double-click them, then just give it a try. As soon as you import them into your Ulead project you can stop thinking of them as mpgs anyway and consider it a dvd in progress.

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

AB Mone, Can you PM or point me in the right direction to a [bold]good[/bold] guide on using it? I havent got the hang of it, never really used it. Want to convert DivX to Mpeg2. It seems to create a single mpeg2 file, no Video_TS, etc. This normal? (i presume so) Also, no sound on it when played on computer? I heard that sometimes happens, but it comes back when burnt to disc?

Thanks
    Chris

14. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Oriphus

I think were talkin about two different subjects the talk in the beginning was about putting the ready mpeg2's into TMGEnc Dvd Author so it makes the video ts folder

If your just talking about converting your divx so it can go on a dvd you have to use the regular TMPGenc.

In tmpgenc just use the wizard in dvd and set your desired bitrate and for a two hour movie it does take about 14 hours. Ive heard cce 2.5 along with dvd2svcd does go faster.

After that you pop it in TMPGenc dvd author and it makes the needed ifo and vob etc. files needed to burn to dvd.

Hope this clears up confusion

15. ABMone

ABMone Guest

About the sound did you make a joint mpeg2 where the video and audio is joined or the seperate WAV audio file and m2v video file

16. twister9

twister9 Member

Thanks Again HeeHawBoz
    You`ve given me a lot to look out for , I`ll go away now and see if I can burn a few Mpegs to DVD , If I don`t succeed as Arnie would say " I`ll BE Back "
    Thanks again
    Twister9

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It does clear it up thanks, but it also leaves me with no sound! :-(

18. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

MPEG2 to DVD-R I use Sonic Foundry's 'DVD Architect'...takes about 14hrs unfortunately but does do the job
    Not had any audio missing yet (touch wood)

19. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

It's exactly how ABMone says:
    - Divx (AVI) convert to MPEG2 with TMPGenc
    - Create the VIDEO_TS structure out of the MPEG2 with TMPGenc DVD author.
    - Burn the VIDEO_TS with Nero

20. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

You got a URL or link for TMPGEnc DVD Author Wizkid ?