1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg to dvd

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by zx7r, May 13, 2003.

1. zx7r

zx7r Guest

can you help me?
    i have coverted an avi file to an mpeg file to put onto a dvd using nero dvd/iso but nero tells me that the file is bigger than 2gb and must use dvd/udf can i do anything so i can put it onto dvd/iso this is not a dvd rip. if not will dvd/udf play on stand alone dvd players?
    also can anyone point me to a program to convert wmv to mpeg

2. T2K

T2K Guest

you got to author the mpgeg file with authoring software..(adds chapters menus & puts it all together in audio/video folders with other files required for the dvd-video format. my stand alone dvd player will play a mpgeg-2 file burnt as a data disk. try and see if yours will aswell. if it works and you do this there will be no chapters.

3. karlie

karlie Member

What kind of set top player do you have that will play an MPEG-2? Are video and sound in sync? Is this true of most late model set top players?

4. T2K

T2K Guest

I have a "KLH DIGITAL" best dvd player I have ever bought and Iv'e been through a bunch.

About the sound being out of sync... if the sound/video is out of sync before you put it on dvd its going to be out of sync on the dvd. somtimes I get this problem with my capturing card. I just make sure to fix the video before I put it on disk.

5. charwoman

charwoman Member

Hi,

about the sound... I have a tv capture card and the MPEGs created by it (using SnapStream 3) come out fine, sound in sync and everything, but when I use the TMPG DVD Author, the sound comes out slightly off (usually a pinch slow). May I ask what you're using to Author?

Thanks

char

6. T2K

T2K Guest

Heloo, yes at the moment im using "ULEAD DVD WORKSHOP" & "DAZZLE DVD COMPLETE"...I haven't had a chance to check out TMPGenc DVD AUOTHOR yet but from what Ive heard its a great program with lots of features, think ill give it a try :)

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I'm using 'Sonic Foundry - DVD Architect' to convert mpeg-->dvd
    Haven't had any sound problems so far (touch wood !!: )

(It took serious patience to read thru DVD Architect guide for the 1st time)

8. charwoman

charwoman Member

Thanks for the input. I discovered today that if I change the audio bitrate settings (to something other than what they're supposed to be) in TMPGEnc DVD Author, it can put the sound back in sync... it may be that when SnapStream produces its MPEGs, the resulting specs aren't really what they say they are in the quality settings template you select for the recording. Looks like it's going to be a considerable learning curve with that. I started a spreadsheet today listing the rates at which I record movies in SnapStream and then the authoring results. I've gotten 2 decent movies, finally.

Clearly, there's really no one right way to do all this. I look back at my foolish self a month ago thinking, 'for the price of TIVO I could upgrade my computer ~and~ burn my own movies!'

Yeh, it's been that easy... {cough} but at least I've learned a few things.

And, I'm hooked :)

char

9. T2K

T2K Guest

Hey, thats great! glad you figuerd it out!